Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

substitute for Clone Theory Chorus pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ceremony74, May 5, 2005.

1. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    Hi, i was looking for a Electro Harmonix Clone Theory pedal, but they are very hard to find in Brazil where i live. Does the Small Clone model from E.H. sounds the same? Any advice on a good substitute. Today i use the analog chorus from my Bass Pod XT but it is really "shy"...

2. Yeah, Small Clone FULL chorus (careful, there's another version with a MUCH milder effect) sounds similar, if not close enough to be called the same.

I bought my Small Clone from a (bass) fellow here who had just bought a Clone Theory. It didn't take long for him to tire of the Theory though - not because of the sound (it's beautiful), but because of the number of controls. He could never quite set it just right.

The Small Clone is simple...one switch, one footswitch, one knob. Non-color mode is pretty transparent (ie the effect gets lost), with the Color switch on it's dreamy. Of course, with all non-FET-switching footswitches there's a distinct pop when you engage it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Lucky for me I found a Clone Theory semi-local for a good price. I've left a deposit on it. Other than that, I use a Peavey BAC-2 for subtle chorus.

4. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    what about the line 6 tone core chorus pedal?

5. PureRockRoll

PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    I want a clone theory pedal too, especially because it's Peter Hook's chorus of choice.

6. PureRockRoll

PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    oh, but what about the polychrous? has anyone used one of those?

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a Small Clone, and I dig it (though I use it mostly on guitar.)

8. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    the stereo polychorus is more than twice the price! is it twice the sound :) ??