Substitute for Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Oct 7, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I want to be able to play my bass through the stero in my office but I do not want to leave my headphone amp there or carry it back and forth from home. I also don't want to spend $60 on another Pocket Rocket. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive, over-the-counter Radio Shack solution. i basically need something to emulate a headphone amp-- give the signal enough of a boost so I can play through RCA auxiliary inputs but not fry my stero speakers.

Would aprpeciate some ideas. Thanks.
  2. have you tried just a normal adapter, it'll be quiet as hell but cheap anyway

and shouldnt you be working!
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    RCA takes a line signal so you get almost no output, and this is for lunch hour!
  4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Pickup one of those cheap Behringer mixers.
  5. If you want to build something, here's your chance. How to build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier. It can be built to fit entirely within a mints case. I've wanted to build one just for fun, but haven't gotten around to it. At least read over the page. I'd expect it to be a fun project and you can also claim that the Altoids tin you carry isn't for mints, it's an amplifier!
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
  7. gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    i've used a NADY AX 1000 wireless FM transmitter that i have picked up on ebay for 19$ .it allows you to play on a certain frequency on the radio .the quality of the sound dépend of the quality of the radio .
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Slightly better again - This little preamp requires no assembly. This is an Australian retailer but I'm sure there's something similar available in the your neck of the woods.