Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Substitute Teaching - At least it's SOMETHING

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 29, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey! I've been looking for a job for a while now and still am but I substitute taught today for the first time. At least that'll pay some of the bills until I can find a FT job. It turned out to be really cool. I did elementary school music and I was kind of partnered with the regular teacher who's a musician. Turned out that his son is also a bassist who played on a couple of albums for one of my favorite bands (Waterdeep). He also played bass for a jam band side project (Pepper Shaker) whose CD I've really been wanting to get but can't afford and he had his son's wife bring me a copy of the CD up to the school for free! Fun day. The kids were cute. I was at the school for 7 hours, 2 of which were total free time (lunch+conference period) Is anyone else currently sustaining themselves by substitute teaching?

Tomorrow I'm teaching 6th grade social studies...the hellion meter should go way up on that one. :)

brad cook

2. Glad to hear of the new job. Hopefully the 6th graders you're teaching tomorrow are more behaved then I was.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Eh, you're just happy you got a free CD.

:D

4. I taught high school electronics full time for 8 years. Seemed like 50 years though. Severe burnout caused me to find other employment, but there were some rewarding times in those years.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been looking for art teacher positions but they're almost non-existant since the government cut funding for art and music programs years ago. Did you have to get a special certificate to be allowed to sub?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're gol-darn right I am! When you're dirt poor that's like winning the lotto.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No. Just had to have at least 50 college hours. I get 15 more bucks a day since I have a degree. I hope I get more use out my degree in life than 15 bucks a day as a substitute teacher.

I don't know about that whole funding cut thing but at the school I was at today they had pretty a pretty good music program for a small-town elementary. The music room had a bunch of guitars (Squire electrics - Tele, Bullet, and Strats, Jasmine acoustics) two trap sets, some keyboards, three very up-to-date computers with special music stuff, a nice big TV, a Roland guitar synth and a bunch of other random music stuff. I was impressed. Also some kids were studying strings (cello, violin etc..). Must vary from state to state.

brad cook

brad cook

8. When I was in elementary school, we had a guiro, a tambourine, a plastic guitar...and lots of colorful scarves. To play "musical games" I guess, which never had anything to do with music. We never learned any music in music class. We occasionally watched a movie about Beethoven, and that was about it. We're talking only ten years ago, here! (second grade was the first year I participated in a music program at school...)

I feel really ripped off, but proud that these kids seem to have good stuff going on.

-Dave

P.S. Goodluck with those sixthgraders...they can be evil.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I taught the sixth graders today. Most of them were fine. A policeman taught 3 of the 6 classes as part of a special program so that wasn't a problem. 2 of the classes though were terrible. The level of disrespect from 11 year olds was astonishing. I wish I could give paddlings like in the old days. One kid started purposely calling me "Mr. Cock" as if he misread my name. I gave him an earful for that. Also some of the kids you can tell are little future gangbangers with their gold chains on and stuff. Unless they turn it around, which I hope the do, just their attitudes are pointing to a doomed future. I feel like that's part of the frustration of subbing - you don't have time to really get involved with the kids lives and find out what's going on at home and stuff.

brad cook

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Brad congrats on the job! I guess it's still too soon to ask if you want to go to Mars this weekend! Oh well, congrats man. Good luck on more work.
    Stu

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually now that the Mars website says that they're all going out of business I can just go to the Austin location. Sorry to cancel the big road trip...maybe it would've been just like the movie Road Trip. :) I'm going to stop by the Austin location tomorrow because I have a job interview in Austin. Probably won't buy anything unless it's something very cheap but I just want to see if they're having sales yet. Also stopping by Bass Emporium hopefully.

brad cook

12. I've just started the process to get my Certificate, but it's gonna take a while.

Stupid college.

Rock on
    Eric

13. Kick that brat when no one's looking. It'll be your word against his. :D

Or just remind him that you give him grades.

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    What, you heard about my driving too?!?!:D

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In America the substitute teacher has no control over what grade the child gets. The normal teacher takes care of that. We just fill in when the normal teacher is sick and do whatever the teacher wants us to.

brad cook

16. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    my school is allowed to paddle kids unless the parents say they can't. to bad you couldn't, that woulda tought him. and i plan to do that sometime, i want to be a teacher, and i guess i'm gonna have to start at the sub. level.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...we used to get paddlings in my school when I was young. We called it "Getting licks." I wish I had a paddle to pull out and lay on the desk when the kids were getting particularly out of hand. That was pretty effective just to pull it out as a threat when I was in jr. high.

brad cook

18. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I've wanted to be a teacher for a few years, but there is NO WAY I'd teach a middle school. My classes were so mean to the sub's, one of my classes (7th period, last class, in 6th grade) sent a substitute teacher home crying! I felt so bad! I mean, I didn't even do anything, but Jesus, we were horrible kids. I'd want to sub for a high school, all my sub's are really cool.

19. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I taught full-time for 10 years, and also did a lot of substituting. In some ways, the subbing was much easier; if you had a really bad day, at least you didn't have to see the kids the next day. I taught mostly 13-15 year-olds, and I got very burned out. The amount of disrespect and the number of discipline problems you have to deal with really wears you down. Not to mention the parents... I am glad to be out of it now, but I'm glad I did it.

20. My grandparents say that i would make a good teacher, and i've put some thought into it, but i dont think that i would. Because, being in 9th grade, i;ve seen what we do to subs/real teachers and its not worth it.