Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Substituting an external EQ in place of active pups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brilliant Fool, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Ok, I'm not entirely sure if the subject made any sense, but it's the best way that I could think to put it.

Here's the deal, in the next few months I'm buying a used Alvarez 6-string, and having it defretted. All in all it's gonna cost me around $450, leaving me flat broke for a while.

This bass has passive pups, I'm not sure what make, but it doesn't really matter. I want to have that nice fretless FWAH, but I also want decent, snappy, tone. Not as aggressive as a fretted, but with a little bite nonetheless.

Before I got my warwick thumb, I used a MXR 10-band EQ to give my previous bass, a squier P, a bit of tone. But I don't use the MXR with my thumb, it has enough EQ. :D

So here's my question: barring the immediate possibility of putting in active pickups, will my MXR help me to achieve the tone I want (crisp, snappy, but FWAH-ish) on a fretless?