Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

substitution for my Workingman's 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Sep 13, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd like to get a new combo instead of my SWR WM 12. I'm thinking of Baby Baby Blue or California Blonde. What do you think? I'd use it for electric bass and the one with piezos.
    Or do you have some other suggestions in that price range ($1000-$1500).
    I'd like to get that low end growl and punch and a nice finger bass tone with enough high end and crispness.
    Thanks for your suggestions

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For what application? The Baby Blue is a great little amp for practicing or small jazz type gigs, but its not going to get you more volume or coverage than the WM12. What is your aim at upgrading, and how do you intend to use it?

Those answers will help help us point you in the right direction.

3. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Well I need it for practicing with different drummers. I'd use it for music from Funk and Sould to some Be-Bop and Hard-Bop, depends on the drummer.
    so thanks again

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have the SWR Baby Blue II, with two 8's and a 5" tweet, 160 watts. I wouldn't recommend it for practicing with a drummer for anything but quiet jazz. It just doesn't have the power or the speaker area to compete. Sounds great, but just stresses too much at those volumes.

I'd recommend you check out an Eden Metro or SWR Redhead for that application.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SWR WM210C.

400 watts of SWR's funky tone.

Goes great with Stingrays. :smug:

6. Hey. You seem to like SWR so good for you, but I have never liked their tone personally, especially with the Workingman series. I've played the 15 and the 210 and don't like the tone of them.

Anyways, with a budget like that, I would look at a light weight head and cab setup. I'd look at the Aguilar GS112. It's a fantastic speaker and works well for both Jazz and Funk. Go on the Aguilar site (www.aguilaramp.com) and check out the endorsers. Many big jazz names in there, including Mr. John Pattituchi. These cabs are fantastic for everything. As far as heads go, if you're looking for light weight, almost all companies make something worthwhile in your price range. Even SWR. Have a look!