1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subtle Effect for "Jamgrass" Band?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by neddyrow, Nov 14, 2019.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i have been subbing for a mostly old tyme fiddle band. they are a bunch of dead head type guys and we also play a bunch of old and in the way, grateful dead, and spacey originals....i know....it's a lot to imagine.

anyway, the guys all have pedals where they click on during a few jam songs when we play late-night sets. they are curious as what i can do to add a little "weird" to my sound. i have done nothing ever in this department when it comes to effects. also, as DB players, i'm sure it's hard to find something that works for us. is there even a demand for this? :)

any help on pedals that you would suggest to add a little something to my bass sound during a space jam would be appreciated. and profiled :)

2. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
  3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have a cheap tape delay that sounds great with bass guitar. If I get a minute this weekend I'll hook it up to my UB and see what happens. Report back.

neddyrow likes this.
  4. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Bowing right next to the bridge makes some really cool effects for situations like that imo

5. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Try an octave pedal - something like the cheap Boss ones. They sound almost evil on the UB and it’s killer for a jam band.

Matthijs, HateyMcAmp and neddyrow like this.
  6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Wind some aluminum foil lightly through the strings near the front side of the bridge. Knock yourself out :).

Oh, did it have to be electric? :cool:

7. Just go crazy, and throw on an envelope filter or autowah-type effect

Keith Rawlings and neddyrow like this.
  8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I play in a newgrass band that does some similar jam stuff. I have a chorus pedal and an octave pedal. Chorus is great for spacey stuff. Octave pedal (mostly octave up, but a bit of octaave down is cool too) better for solos.

9. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Vegas
    An MXR Phase 90 sounds like it would work well for that style.

neddyrow likes this.
  10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I use an octave pedal with my loud, electric, jammy band. It kills and my bandmates love it. Just make sure you have the cabinet / FOH sub to handle it!

11. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I love my Canyon delay on both electric and acoustic bass and guitar as it has soooo many options in one small pedal(like loop, shimmer, octave, etc) I’ve also used a fuzz and envelope filter and enjoyed those! You could try a wah, rotary, or similar. A looper if you guys play to a click or have really good rhythm.

Or out Head them all and bring a small hand percussion setup!!

neddyrow likes this.
  12. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Rehoboth Beach DE
    You should try out some Reverb and maybe if you wanna go really crazy try out Ring modulation and Phaser Effects, I would recommend The EHX Ring Thing for Ring Mod, Not too sure about phaser effects, I don’t really use them but I know the value of them for what you sound like you’re trying to achieve, and as for reverb I cannot recommend the Fender Marine Layer Reverb enough, it is the best sounding reverb I have ever played, period!
    Well good luck finding some new sounds!

13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Earthquaker Spatial Delivery is my current favorite for the space jams....

Pedalboard effect suggestions in the Bluegrass forum; this one may qualify for a TB first!

14. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    No. :cool:

( To be honest, I`ve heard some of that used by great players in free impro context. It can work really well )

15. My three-pedal board for bass guitar is POG (octave), chorus, phaser. If I put the upright through that and play with the bow, it sounds like the hounds of hell. I was in one outfit that loved me playing that way. Currently I don't have any customers for it.

james condino and marcox like this.
  16. smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Jul 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    A lot depends on what effects the lead instruments are using. You probably don't want the same as them. If they are using the classic Jerry auto-wah sound, I would try a time based effect like a chorus or phaser. Get one that lets you mix in your dry signal, so everything doesn't turn to mud.

If, on the other hand, they are using a delay effect, an envelope filter might be just right.

17. No FX advice, but... what’s the band name? I’m in Ithaca, and I’d love to catch a show sometime! :)

james condino likes this.