subtle fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jul 20, 2005.

1. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Looking for a warm, subtle fuzz for a dub-style tone... nothing harsh or too over-the-top, just something warm and fuzzy to get trippy with. I already have an Outbox for extreme fuzz, and a Bass Drive and Guv'nor Plus for overdriven tones.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the depth charge is good at this
  3. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Oh yeah? I thought it was more of an extreme fuzz
  4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, it can do that, but with the blend function you have a lot of variery.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

How can a fuzz be subtile ?
    Dub bass tones usually come from overpushed tube amps by the way.
  6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I envisage a subtle fuzz as one at low levels, blended heavily towards the clean signal.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some years ago I used to play a Crate BX80.
    When you pushed the graphic EQ to the max, it delivered a fabulous, heavy and bright fuzz with plenty lows.
    I'd have kept it but it sucked for everything else and took too much room on my pedalboards anyway.
  8. You might try an overdrive type pedal. I use a Danelectro Daddy-O that delivers from a soft bluesy overdrive to an extreme fuzz out and the 3 band tone controls are nice for getting the tone you want dialed in.
  9. Subtle fuzz = mellow heavy metal :p

If you want an understated fuzz you are probably looking for distortion. These are the same effects except that fuzz is a more extreme overdrive than distortion.

you turn your gain up from-
    overdrive to distortion to fuzz

hope that helps, oh yeah and instead of mellow heavy metal try hard rock.
  10. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I can't seem to get the tone I want from pushing my amp (SVP-Pro preamp) or any ODs i have available. I want a soft, muffled type of fuzz, with no harshness or bite to it at all. I'm planning to try a Fulltone '69 at our next rehearsal.
  11. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Not exactly, but thanks anyway ;)
  12. Like I said, Distortion not overdrive, they are different

Fair enough, call it what you like, but a fuzz without a harsh bite isn't technnically fuzz ;)

Good luck anyway
  13. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    So, for arguement's sake, you're saying that Queens of the Stone Age or Smashing Pumpkins are MORE harsh than, say, Slayer? ;)

That's the difference between "fuzz" and amps "overdriven" into "distortion"... you can get distortion from overdriving an amp,it rnages from soft clipping to balls-out metal, it's harmonically driven, and, at least originally, natural. Fuzz is square wave madness! It's not more extreme than distortion, it's a totally different beast. It does not occur naturally in an audio signal.

Example of subtle fuzz: my guitarist's Fulltone '69 (Fuzzface remake) is more subtle than his Boss DS-2 TurboDistortion in terms of the gain and size it adds to his tone. The Fulltone retains his guitar's tone and adds a light fuzz around it, whereas the Boss DS-2 takes over the tone and turns it into a crunchy power-chord driven train! Apples and oranges.

We can get into the differences betwee germanium-based fuzzes and silicon diodes if you'd like... ;)
  14. :smug: You sound like you think I am making this all up?

From the Effects forum FAQ

Tplyons - "Difference between overdrive, distortion, and fuzz:

Overdrive, distortion and fuzz are often used interchangeably, but in a nutshell can be used to describe three degrees of the same effect: overdrive being a slightly grittier tone often heard in tube amps, distortion being a much dirtier tone while still retaining note definition, and fuzz tends to be a much more extreme distortion where note definition begins to be lost.

On a technical basis: overdrive refers to soft clipping, whereas the extremes of a sine wave are compressed a bit, distortion compresses them significantly more, and fuzz cuts off the tips. In the diagram below, overdrive and distortion are more characterized by the yellow, the red shows fuzz and the blue denotes the original signal."

Okay, if your looking to add a square wave to your sound try an Electro harmonix Bass Microsynth. It actually adds a controlable square wave to your sound and has wicked versatlity. Or even try their graphic fuzz as it has a wide range of effect.
  15. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I never said you were making it up... just that you've been misinformed by threads such as that one :D

Notice the "squaring" or flattening of the sine wave on the fuzz example? That doesn't happen from naturally overdriving tubes or a gain stage in an amplifier. It's something someone set out to make a pedal to do. You can keep turning the gain up on an amp or pedal and not some anywhere near a square wave.. it's not as simple as you say. what do you think the squarewave on a microsynth or analog synthesizer is? it's a type of fuzz.

I notice you paid no attention to my example of smashing pumpkins vs. slayer... oh well. here's another... is the opening riff from Satisfaction heavier or harsher or more intense than Enter Sandman? Cause Metallica used overdriven amps for theirs, and Keith used a fuzz pedal.

The thread you pointed out is a gross oversimplification. let's just agree to disagree, cause this is getting nowhere. I'd rather be jamming. I'll let you know when i find the sound i'm looking for. :cool:
  16. :rollno:

:eyebrow: I didn't mention that because there is so much more involved in those 2 guitar tones than just 1 stompbox.
  17. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    actually, slayer's tone is and has always been a good guitar, Marshall JCM800 head, 4x12, and a Boss EQ pedal. Billy Corgan primarily used a Fuzz face, sometimes a big muff, thru a pretty clean amp. It's not rocket surgery.
  18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    JPrisus, I get a nice subtle fuzz from, believe it or not, a Digitech Bass Driver. With the Morph control at 7:00, which is all the way "down", the Tone at about 9:00 to 10:00, and the Blend at about 11:00, it's warm and fuzzy. Actually mellows out the tone of the bass somewhat. As you turn the Morph knob clockwise, it gets rattier and harsher.

I used to use a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz, but I found it harder to control, since the settings I used were right at the low end of the gain curve and the BOF gets raspy pretty fast. Still, it could make a good sound, but with a little more attack emphasis than the Digitech pedal.

The Digitech Bass Driver is pretty cheap, and if you buy it from Guitar Center, or most of the online dealers, you get thirty days to decide if you like it or not.
  19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If we're just talking about your basic "fuzz" here, you can get a DOD 250 re-issue for $39.00 new. It's a nice little pedal that is no frills and well built.

I had one and, for fuzz and really basic distortion, it worked great.
  20. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    Maybe look into a EHX english muff'n. It has a warmer fuzzy/distortion tone depending on the settings and how hard you are playing/how hot your pickups are. I have a few recorded examples here: