Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

subtle phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Jun 27, 2005.

1. hey guys i'm a big fan of a light phasing effect on bass, especially when playing with a pick. i currently have an mxr phase 90, that sounds OK. two quick questions, number one what phasers are out there that are more subtle of an effect, the phase 90 can get over the top, i hear that the scrpit mod makes it a bit mellower, which i would dig, but is this mod something i could do on my own or would i need to be sending out my pedal (i do have some electronics experience, and some patience to spare) secondly when the phaser is on i notice a boost in my trebeles and mids, and the attack of hte pic becomes very harsh, i notice it with fingerstyle too but not nearly as much, is there anything i can do about this, i really don't dig harsh sounds. alright i'm done, thanks for any help guys.

topher.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i find the ehx small stone an extremely versatile/subtle phaser. It could be kind of harsh on guitar (usually with the "bright" switch on) but it's dead on for bass. in RE to ur phase 90, i think analogman does all the stuff u want, but if you really wanna go it alone, it's probably switching out a resistor or something like that.

personally, i'd drop the 90 bucks on the small stone

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I also have the phase 90. I don't know how much subtler you're going to get than that thing dialed nearly all the way to the left unless I'm missing something.....

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Phase 100 can sound pretty much the same but allows a gentler modulation.

5. mr packer, the phase 90 pretty far to the left is the ound i'm using right about now and its nice, but id like to have more of a range of tones like that, if i push the phase 90's dial and further i get into pretty extreme modualtion, i guess it just doens't sound quite perfect to me is waht i' msaying

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 to all the above mentioned phasers...

the Small Stone almost sounds like a gentle wind gusting through your tone.

Also look at the Boss PH-3.. it's versatile as heck, and can be pretty subtle.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'll vote the for the Red Witch Moon Phaser. it is quite subtle, in fact i put a DOD 250 with slight OD in front of it just to beef it up when necessary. it has 3 phaser selections to choose from and then some.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    you might want to try the akai intelliphase, that can do subtle very very well.

It also has modes where the louder u play the less it phases or vice versa so when u play louder it phases more, and of course u have the normal mode.

Hope this helps

9. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Maxon PH-350... does both MXRs, Smallstone, and more. Pricey but worth it, like having 3 or 4 phasers in one.

10. man i have a lot of new phasers to check out, i had heard good things about the ehx in the past, so i need to get out sometime and give it a go. i hade tried the boss phaser, strange as it soudns just too versitile, i kind of want soemthing easy to dial in my tone with, expecially if my knobs accidently get knocked. thanks a lot for the replies guys, does anyone here have info on the phase 90 mod by any chance?

11. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I returned a small stone to GC because the effect volume seemed too low when compared to the bypass volume and there is no knob to adjust, Just something to keep in mind.

12. Has anyone experiences about Digitech Hyperphase? Tried it once in a shop and digged it.

13. No one has mentioned my favorite phaser yet: Roland AP-2...i prefer very subtle settings as well, and it still manages to get a full, dark tone at the most subtle settings

14. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    The problems i've had with the MXRs and EHX pedals are that they only have one or two sounds at most. Not very versatile at all. That's cool if the tone you want is in one of them, but a thousand other kids have used it too. I like to be unique, and the Maxon helps me get there.

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    quite the poetic bassman, quite the poetic.