1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suburbs suck

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by buliwyfff, Dec 9, 2006.

1. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    I was working on my car and couldnt finish in one day so I put my cover on and dont get to work on it for a few days..the cover blows off and within hours there is a complaint note on my door saying they are going to tow my car blah blah blah. Wow. So I work on my car rather than taking it to a mechanic for every little thing. I hate all these metrosexuals and their minivans I cant take it.

2. Some leaves blew from our lawn across the street into the lawn of an apartment building. They called the police.

3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is the kind of stuff that makes me want to buy a few acres in the country, build a house on it, post the property, and keep my shotgun within easy reach.

And I live in a nice suburb!

4. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    how meaningless could these peoples lives be to sweat every tiny thing? the police actually came?

5. You didn't know the burbs were like that before you moved in? Have you been living under a rock? :eyebrow: :D

Yeah, the burbs are funny like that. They will complain about long grass, loud music, cars in a "guts out" state left out front for a few days... Strange bunch of folk, those suburbanites... they are so concerned that people are going to turn their nice, tidy hood into some sort of white-trash, couch on the porch, chevy on blocks in the front yard, ruin my property value, et al place, that they really react when they think someone might start the ball rolling...

Go figure?

That's why I mow my suburban yard into crop circles.

6. Most suburban areas in the US are the bastard children of our Puritan and Scots-Irish heritages: we have to have our little piece of land because we don't like the idea of sharing space with other people, but we insist on regulating the behavior of everyone around us.

City-dwellers and rural homesteaders are both far more likely to have live-and-let-live attitudes than those who live in suburbs or small towns.

7. yes they did. However, that isn't the wierdest thing they have ever done. About a week ago, I went into the bathroom to take a shower, I look out the window and see an old woman sitting in the window of her apartment, looking at my house with binoculars. I quickly closed the blinds.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You should have called the police. I'm serious... that's just creepy. =/

9. but then I would just be sinking to their level

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Fight fire with fire.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Where I used to live, a family got a ticket because their kids were playing in the street in front of their house. They lived in a cul-de-sac. Some crazy neighbor called the police, which is bad enough, but to get a ticket? I like to be civil and all, but wouldn't a .38 pointed against the complainer's head one night make the problem go away? After we were "denied" permission in a hearing to put a little "above ground" pool in our own backyard, we moved.

12. dont even get me started about these neighborhood associations. with me bein a redneck, motorhead, bass player i do believe you know where im comin from.

13. Dude, my wife and I used to have a neighbor just like that. Was this old woman, had to be pushing eighty, and just didn't have anything else to do, so she would constantly watch all the neighbors through binoculars. Din't even try to be subtle about it either, just stood in the doorway with those damn things glued to her face. It drove me nuts.

Now I live in an apartment building where I get to listen to the couple next door fight, hear the big ass dog (boxer I think) upstairs pound his tail on the floor, and can't turn the stereo past one. Oh, and I can't work on my own cars, don't have even a patio or porch to walk out onto on a nice day. Our lease is so strict. It has regulations for everything from what you may display on your doorway (flags, I think), to how you walk your dog.

I HATE living in the city/burbs. Oh give me a home...where the buffalo roam....

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My neighbors try to enforce these cheesy rules from some ancient covenant in my neighborhood. I tell them they are nuts, and to find other things to do with their time.

Last summer, I re-sided part of my house and painted it. When I was done painting, here is what happened....

Members of our "neighborhood wannabe association" stop by and tell me my paint color is not approved.
    "Not approved by who?" I ask.
    "By us" was this guys reply. It was him and two other guys. They were the big wigs from our neighorhood wannabe association.
    I explain to "us" that if they don't like the color of my house, they are free to buy some paint and re-paint it a color they prefer. I then add that they will have to contend with my wife who chose the color I was using.

I never heard a word about it again. :D

-Mike

15. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    My neighbors are are awesome now, but I had some pretty bad ones in the past.

- Complained when I mowed my lawn before they did

- Got angry when I got a new bike, and just kept going up and down the sidewalk for hours, threatened to knock me out (I was 10 at the time :rollno: )

- Tried to call the cops, and get our trampoline confiscated, because they didn't like it.

- Threw fits when I fixed my mountain/trial bikes on my lawn.

- Tried to get our christmas decorations torn down, since they thought that is was too colorfull, in contrast to theirs, and therefore I should take it down. (We just had green and red lights on out garage, that's it. They line their whole house in white lights.) I had fun partly unscrewing, or breakingonly one lightbulb pre chain on his house, and watching him go nuts trying to figure out what is happening.

- Countless noise complaints, even when we knew that we counln't be heard through the walls, they just called in when we loaded the drumset in. Sometimes we weren't even playing, for like 3 hours, and we have noise complaint :confused:

I hate it. I want a farmhouse.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That's weird. Boxers usually have their tails docked real short. I've never seen one with a long tail in person, but I've seen pictures.

I don't know. Where do I live, then? I always thought it was the suburbs, but we don't have any rules or regulations. We have a house, backyard, front yard. Live really close to a culth...thing.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    That is the kind of stuff that makes me GLAD to have an acre in the country, a house on it, fenced property, and firearms within easy reach. Caliber depends on type of varmit....

Oh yeah, a number of medium-to-large dogs outside too....

REAL nice when you can pull your full bass rig out back and crank it to test stuff. Only ones listening are the cows, chickens, pony, birds including a couple of screech owls, deer, and maybe coyotes. Satellite TV and DSL help a lot too.

Most idiotic thing we had happen when we lived in "civilization" was getting a ticket and a fine $$ when our poodle-sized dog chased some clown on his bike.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Some/most of those rules are ridiculous, but were written with everyone's best interest as possible. The elitists take advantage of them unfortunately.

I like living in the country for the most part. Having to drive 20 minutes to get ANYWHERE sucks though. As does poor winter plowing, misc. varmits, and other various stuff.

It all has its ups and downs. I'd prefer to live in town personally.

19. what's a varmit?? or what does varmit means??
    I couldn't find it in the dictionary:help:

20. varmint

noun
    1. an irritating or obnoxious person (syn: vermin)
    2. any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable; e.g., coyote

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University