Subway Guitars...Anybody tried any?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Has anybody ever tried any of those Subway Guitars by Fat Dawg? Like the Subraze our any? Their website says they've been making them for 15 years...out of what, other StingRays? And How are the Bartolini MME pups? and how would they be w/ Bartolini Active Electronics? I must be really dumb asking about Barts, but I haven't had much experiece w/ high end equipment...
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've checked them out. For the $600 or so they charge, you'd be better off saving another couple of hundred and buying a used Music Man.
  3. I will second Big Wheel`s opinion.I was all jazzed when I first stumbled across the website...then I listened to what some more expearienced talkbass members had to say.:( Personally I would`nt drop too much $ on their frankenstein basses.....just my $0.02 worth though.
  4. never been in the store, but i live by it. its in Berkeley California... from the looks of the outside of the store (i've only driven past it remember), it looks like a CRAZY store. its painted daphine blue and white, kinda in a zebra stripe pattern, and theres fish painted on. quite interesting, quite berkeley if i do say so myself.
  5. I used to live in Berkeley, and go there once in a while. I can't say anything specifically about their basses, but I can tell you they have quite a few people there that really know what they're doing.
    Their inventory is always pretty neat, too.
  6. The store is pretty crazy. I've only been in there once. Only a small part of their inventory is in the store. Most of it is stashed in a big warehouse along with a bunch of bizarre surplus parts and such. The store has tons and tons of wierd guitars and basses. Almost all their stuff is used, vintage, homemade, and modded out. They have pretty good prices, but some of the stuff is in pretty bad shape. The guy working there didn't know a whole lot. He was trying to sell me a lame $10 pickup telling me that all pickups sound the same. My friend needed to talk to Fatdawg who "was going to be there any minute," so we waited for over an hour. He showed up with a broken down old truck full of guitars and wasn't much help. He was really busy and there was a lot of people there to talk to him. All the people who worked there seemed like old hippies or buttrockers. I would never buy from them (their brand or used) before studying it very closely and playing it very carefully. It's the kind of place where you can find the best instrument ever for a great price, or find nothing at all. Over all, you'll have lots of fun there and see some truly strange or rare instruments. The trip is worth it.
  7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    anybody tried the Subraze (like a stingray but cheaper) bass? examples below

curious Joe

8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Good luck getting an email answered. Neat approach to affordable one of a kind basses. Their website needs to be updated on a more regular basis.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've been to Subway twice.
    It is crazy.
    Lots of stuff.
    If you know what you want, they can put something together?
    Insane inventory of 60's and 70's parts.
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've tried it

Best Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki in town.
  11. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    omg thats ugly. how much you wanna bet there's a leftover pbass routing in that body?
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have talked with that Fat Dawg a couple of times. A little out there for me. I have called a few times and he could not come to the phone. He was busy outside.. Customer Service people. Customer Service is where it is for me.
  13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've been there a couple times and was quite disappointed. Maybe it was ok 15-20 years ago (I don't know) but in terms of now I wouldn't bother.

There are other threads where people here have complained about really bad quality and service, Folmeister being one of them.

14. Walfy

Jun 10, 2006
    I have one of their basses with a Warmoth maple neck and one piece quilt maple body, Alembic pickups, and Bartolini pre-amp. The job they did in finishing the bass was definitely sub-standard but tonally the bass is a real winner. My only real complaint is there is no way to get to the truss rod since they put on a neck where the truss rod is adjusted at the body end and the body is up flush with the neck. They should have either used a neck with the truss rod adjustable at the nut end or routed a small space in the body. If it warps I'll have to have someone replace the neck or do some routing in the body. Walfy
  15. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Stay far away from Subway if you're interested in a quality instrument.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I had high hopes for some of those Bartolini + Warmoth + Alembic, etc basses. After having played about 20 of them in both store (old and new locations), every one was poor quality. You'd be better off with a MIM Fender or Musicman copy.
  16. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    In other words, EB's sub bass, or an OLP MM, or even the korean copy Tokai MM's are better?
  17. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  18. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    They assembled a bass for me from parts I brought, setup was first rate as far as tone and playability, but they attached my bridge with drywall screws, and the bridge is a little crooked. I may sell it (probably in pieces, the parts are worth more than the whole) I like Fatdawg personally, but I would only go back there for something weird like a Marriachi bass or something.
  19. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Spoke to Fatdawg years ago over the phone with a couple of guitar questions. He was an arrogant prick that was pretty comfortable spewing out one four letter word after another especially considering he was speaking to a complete stranger who was considering purchasing a guitar and amp from him sight unseen. Well that was years ago when there were not as many high quality Korean imports going for the same or less money for better sound, look, overall product integrity and consistency. These days I see no point in purchasing a $600 bass made from mostly import parts that may or may not fit just so when for the same money you have MTD imports, Schecter Diamond, LTD (ESP), G&L Tribute, TBC (The Bass Company), MIM Fender; just to name a few. And of course there are countless used mid-range basses out there for the same money give or take a few bucks.

As far as I can figure, Subway is only worth a damn if you were to go to their warehouse and painstakingly pick parts you want and have it put together professionally. However if yr ordering online; well you don't have that option. Besides, the customer service stinks anyway.

20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    As funky as his company seems to be, $600 can buy you a really decent used bass of know origin: MIJ Fender jazz, a range of MIM basses, OLP, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc, etc.