1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subwoofer speaker and cab question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbass_5, Nov 25, 2018.

1. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I've purchased inexpensively 2 Eminence Kilomax 18A speakers (great shape, working) and I plan on loading them into 2, 1x18 Yamaha Subwoofer cabinets model # sw118iv internal volume is approximately 7.6 cu. ft. With a rectangular port 20"w x 3"h x 12.5" deep. Anyone know how well they'll work in this cabinet? Thanks.

2. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The obvious thing to do, if possible, is to load up winisd or similar, model the cabs with both original and replacement speakers, and see how similar they look...

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if all you want is 'more low' = i'm sure you'll get that. why don't you load them into the cabinets and see/hear for yourself? and then do us all a favor and report your experience with that combination. good luck! :thumbsup:

i think modeling programs get just about everything except the real world applied....but they're great for comparing 'universes'.

4. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    It's for my PA and so far it's kicking ass. I ran a frequency generator into the first (25 hz) and smoked it, warped the VC. Getting a recone kit for it.. the second seems to kick ass but I snice I don't have the software to do the calculations I thought someone here might have the program and data for this speaker in this volume.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    At 25Hz in that cabinet I would be surprised if that driver could handle 500 watts (RMS). Another challenge is the low sensitivity which is a tradeoff for the higher power handling.

basscapes and BassmanPaul like this.
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Pretty much, they will be power hungry.
    But for most part 7 ish cubic feet for pair is good trade-off for power handling.

Still be interesting to see what those cabs are tuned at. I'll assume around 30 35 Hz

So testing at 25hz was definitely near or in the unloading point and probably caused alot cone excursion. If a used driver maybe coil was already slightly abused.

Then again 25 to 30hz is just about where you'd want a very steep subsonic filter or basically 4 pole or 24dB high pass protection filter. So you don't damage the speakers again

Likewise don't test them at 25hz again lol

DJ Bebop and Wasnex like this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    With a volume of 7.6 cubic feet
    And those port dimensions.

Box tune or Fb = 33.5 hz

With any number of end factor correction for that port type. It's still realistically about 33 hz and be as low as 32.3 or high as 34.6

-3db response or F3 = 48.6 hz

Which is fine and fairly typical for any 7 to 8 cubic foot dual driver sub boxes

Literally have to run one sub in there to give it more airspace and F3 be barely 38/ 40hz. And that's with most typically 18" drivers. That F3 with both drivers is somewhat normal and fine

So all good congratulations you have a sub lol

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    basscapes likes this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    A heavy, inefficient sub at that!

9. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yeah agedhorse, I agree with you on that. I was happy to get a set of high power speakers like that at a reduced price but I believe I could have purchased some speakers at a lesser price that would have mached the cabinets a lot better.

10. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    A popular store has some B52 18" buybacks that would have worked a lot better.

11. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    So each driver sees 7.6 cu ft, because you have got two Yamaha 1x18 cabinets of 7.6 cu ft net volume each, right?

Fb: "roughly about" 35Hz. (its a rough number cause I didn't run the calculation for shelf ports yet, sorry)

F3: 36Hz

12. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Yes, 2 separate cabinets.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I don't think the S118's are that big net.

ThisBass likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The giveup for higher power is almost exactly the same as the sensitivity penalty. I'm pretty sure you could have found 18" sub drivers that were 30% lighter at 500 watts RMS and 3dB higher sensitivity below 200Hz for the same cost including the recone new. If you were to consider Neo and more money you could have gone beyond where you could go with the KiloMax. There's a reason no real pro audio manufacturers ever used that driver.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Well it's not always about moving the subs.

It's more..hey we got 2 high-power 18" speakers sitting in the room

Stuff is gonna move alot more now. Woo

And it's pretty fun to listen too ;)

(Following week) let's buy 2 more and see what that does lol

DJ Bebop, jazzbass_5 and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. Yup.

I find it interesting to see two crowds lately- those that want subs in their rigs that get down to (or BELOW) the fundamental of a B string (mid 30hz range) and those who want to use HP filters all the time.

While I know that the two CAN be used together (I have purposely limited my home stereo subs to 22hz with a HP filter), it's just interesting...