Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Recently, my guitarist has been inquiring about getting a subwoofer, to add more "punch" to our sound. I had an idea, but I would like some educated opinions on whether it would work or not. We currently use two 1x18s and two 1x12s (they may even be 15s) with a horn as our PA speakers. The 18s are Peaveys and they are ported at the bottom. The port is a slot, approximately 2 inches high by nine or ten inches long. Would there be any benefit to reversing the speaker(s), so it fired into the enclosure rather than out of it, or leaving the speaker as is and putting a piece of plywood over the front of the enclosure, leaving the port uncovered?

2. No :D

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You should get plenty of punch out of that set up. Look at the board first, get the opinion of a professional sound guy(or girl) before you altering your gear. My band uses the exact same speaker configuration for small to mid size venues wnd we have more than eneough punch. Another idea may be in your power, are you supplying enough juice to the subs as they can be power hogs.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Mike