Success of any sorts after 30?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Dec 9, 2003.

1. In non-jazz genres? And I mean people who broke through after 30 and not before!

What I could think of:

Tico Torres of Bon Jovi... was 33-34 when the breakthrough "Slippery When Wet" came out.

Moby maybe? Wasn't he in the mid-thirties when he sold them millions of records?

Andy Summers was in his thirties when he joined The Police.

Rick Springfield was 32? when he started getting airplay...???

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Al Jarreau was 35 when his first album came out.

Sorry, I was thinking of Alexandra Jarreau, no relation.;)
  3. we're all in our LATE 30s and still think we're gonna make it.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Bonnie Raitt was close to (if not already) 40.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
  6. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Jimmy Buffet

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Mark Sandman of Morphine was in his 40s when they released their first CD. In fact he used to lie about his age as "alternative rockers" weren't supposed to be that old.

Bonnie Raitt is a pretty bad example, she was touring, recording for major labels and getting played on the radio in her early 20s...she just didn't get HUGE until her 40s.

Likewise, Andy Summers had played and recorded with Eric Burdon and Kevin Coyne years before he hooked up with the Police.

Maybe the term "success of any sorts" needs to be better defined!!!
  8. Billy Sheehan was 32 when he joined David Lee Roth's band. Of course, Talas had opened for Van Halen a few times, and Sheehan was offered Michael Anthony's position in VH, but he stuck it out with his boys from 'Flo.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sheryl Crow is 40, or pushing 40, and is still rocking. She looks good doing it, too. :D
  10. She's 41, if memory serves, and since she didn't score her first hit until 1993's "Leaving Las Vegas," that would put her first professional success at the age of 31. Of course, she was a backup vocalist for Michael Jackson beforehand, which many would consider a plum job, but it obviously wasn't artistically fulfilling for her.

PS: I'm pretty sure that Crow's had her fair share of plastic surgery.
  11. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    The cast of 30 something?? :D
  12. what about in the last five years?
    I can't think of anybody. (Jack black? maybe?)
  13. Joe Satriani was just about 30 when Not of This Earth came out.

Bob Pollard, the leader of Guided by Voices, was still a full time grade school teacher at 40; GbV didn't really get a following until the early '90s, when Pollard was in his late 30s.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I did not know that... That sucks. :mad: I am very glad he didn't accept EVH would have completely stiffled Bill's creativity.
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Compay Segundo hadn't been on an album (that i'm aware of) until he was in his 90s.
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If 30 is the cut-off point, I should have been done a long time ago.

Happy for me I play these no-talents like Mark Hoppus and the dope in the Strokes off the fretboard.

Jeez, ever heard someone like Jeff Berlin smoke? I'd wager that most of the long-time people here on Talkbass could smother those root-note, pick-addicted,fools.
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This thread should be retitled and moved to misc - you are not really looking for people who have had "success of any sorts after 30" - you seem to be looking for people who have had success in music (non-jazz genres) - right? Music related. Misc.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm getting paid for gigs now that I never got a dime for in my teens and twenties.
    That may be construed as more successful.
  19. Yep, I did not express myself clearly... but hey it happens...

Anyway, for one, I was thinking in terms of not being a session guy behind the scenes, but being really visible in a band or act... I don't know but I thought that Andy Summers of The Police was a behind the scenes guy before The Police...

Second, the reason I ask, Rickbass, is precisely because of the BS of the industry and modern society with its overemphasis on youth and image. I am now 31 (and a half... and balding too) and SUPPOSEDLY too old... at least in numerically obsessed America. No wonder why people like Sheryl Crow have to go to the surgeon... (BTW, did you look at 62-year old Phil Spector??? YIKES! No, that can't be HIS hair...)

In a perfect world age shouldn't matter of course... but then this world is WAY far from perfect!

20. BTW ANYONE can destroy Hoppo and the Stroke dude in a bass-off. NINE-YEAR OLDS can play better than those two!!!