1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

success rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Back in high school (not too long ago for me) one of my friends started a pop/punk band. They weren't good at all, our high school music scene hated them, and it seemed like they were a big joke. Now a few years later, nothing has changed for them talent-wise, but they've done multiple tours ranging from Colorado to Miami to NYC and are heading to England in the fall. Last night the bass player asked his Twitter followers to get a birthday message for a friend trending. 5 minutes later it was the #2 worldwide trend.

I feel bad talking down because I really do like them as people, but how is it that talentless bands (not just this particular one) get to be so successful when other bands with extremely talented and hard working musicians regularly play for crowds of 10 people or less? I'm sure this is a frequent discussion on TB, but I needed to rant regardless.

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    IMO the masses simply prefer simpler stuff. If it's catchy/danceable/has cool sing-along-able lyrics, people will listen. More complex music that requires a good bit of skill is usually only really appreciated by other musicians, while the masses simply can't get into it because they don't really understand what goes into it in terms of creativity, musicality, and sheer talent. Or, they do acknowledge all of those things, but simply prefer to listen to their favorite pop/rap/emo/punk/whatever. Different strokes.

Not to say that it doesn't annoy me from time to time. It does quite a lot actually. But there are people out there who appreciate musical talent, and I believe that if you make the music that you want to make, there are at least a few people out there who will truly appreciate it.

3. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    The joys of the "lottery economy." In
    This day and age we don't need to look far for examples -- a favorite of mine in my line of work is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

Sometimes you just gotta shake your head. At least in cases like this, the worst it usually affects us is a case of jealously or frustration.

Could be this is an example of yet another flash in the pan, maybe one of how being lucky is often better than being good, maybe of how perseverance pays off. Either way, there's something you can learn and use to your profit later on.

4. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Eh, in a year or two they'll be begging bar owners to let'em open for cover bands. Don't sweat it. It's the music business, that's how it is.

5. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I always remember that old quote about rockers playing 3 chords in front of 3000 people, and jazz musicians playing 3000 chords in front of 3 people.

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." - H.L. Mencken

7. Because people like them.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    You're measuring 'success' in terms of commerical product. In other words, its a measure of what people like, not a measure of the talent or intelligence that went into the production. Most pop music is not an expression of art, and its probably not fair to evaluate pop culture products in terms of art.

The opposite is true too, but a more complex discussion.

9. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

It's just life. The world is full of things that make me shake my head in bemusement.

The latest example I came across was on the BBC website, usually a good mix of serious news and lighthearted entertainment. It carried a story that Fearne Cotton, a DJ on Radio 1 (the BBC's teeny/pop station) is expecting a baby. According to the article, singer Ellie Goulding tweeted: "oh my god!! Congrats Fearne!!!!!!"

Now. I'm not belittling the excitement of a woman about to become a mother for the first time, or the fact that her celeb friends can't think up anything more original to say. What I do find sad is that a reporter then considers a gushing celeb statements on Twitter to be newsworthy items that are worthy of wider reporting, but I guess that I'm just an old curmudgeon who is still puzzled by the world's endless appetite for the banal.

I guess your friends punk band satisfies the same public need

10. Remember that for every person above average, there's one that's below average. That amounts to an awful lot of below average people in the world. This is my misguided logic for explaining why pop, punk, metal, rap and electronica are so popular. :bag:

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

errrrm...headed to Engalnd?

I hope it's not these guys then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-19267414

12. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Haha, that'd be ridiculous but it looks like those dudes are from Georgia. Hopefully they're all okay though. It sounds like they are.

Seriously though, why are you concerned about their success? Good for them. And when did we start measuring success by a bass player's twitter trends? If it really grates on you, use it as fuel and practice more.

13. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, definitely not the same band as the article. And just to be clear, I'm really happy for them and their success. My OP was more of a comment on less-talented-yet-more-successful bands in general and how they succeed. I know it's not something to be measured in Twitter followers or Facebook likes or Myspace plays, I was just using that to show the extent of their popularity.

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Maybe when their window of opportunity opened they realized it and slipped on through. Half the battle of "making it" is timing. Timing has always trumped talent unless you are a studio/session player.

15. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    For the same reason Rush & Kansas are not inthe RRHOF

16. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Life Rule Number 1: Life is not fair.

Dictionary Definition of Fair: well, you can look that up yourself
    Human Bean Definition of Fair: whatever is in my self-interest.

Appropriate nods and apologies to the memory of Ambrose Bierce.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This right here.

/thread.

18. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    OP is friends with Blink-182? :razz:

19. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha not quite. Although fun fact, I went to the same elementary school as Tom Delonge! It was 15 years after he did though. I was living in Poway when they formed, but I was only 2 years old. If I had been born 15 years earlier I could have been Mark Hoppus...