1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Success with true bypass mod on dunlop 105q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fender_mod, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    Hey guys, I've seen the posts from a while ago about the true bypass mod on the Dunlop 105q bass wah and it seems like only one person has really gotten the mod to work. Has anyone been able to perform this mod? If so do you have any diagrams, tips or problems you ran into while doing it?

I've emailed a couple of pedal builders/modders about doing this professionally for me but the cost would be more than the pedal itself. I thought I would go the professional route to prevent me ruining what is otherwise a perfectly well functioning pedal but if I'm going to spend more than the pedal is worth I might as well sell it and find something else.

I really want the mod not just to prevent high end signal loss but mostly to take out the spring be able to have a wah i can leave in an open position.

2. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    Bump. Anyone?

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I'm not familiar with this wah, so I did some research via Google...

It's not at all like the standard Dunlop guitar wah pedals, other than the enclosure. There's no footswitch, no inductor and it appears there's no 'bypass' at all; I guess the effect is inactive until you rock the treadle? As is typical with many newer effects pedals, most of the components, including the input/output jacks, are soldered directly to the board. You might be able to unsolder the board mount jacks, replace them with open-frame jacks, and run wires to a footswitch, but I don't know if those jacks will physically fit in that enclosure. Otherwise, modding for true bypass could involve cutting traces on the circuit board, not something you want to do unless you're really, really sure what you're doing.

An good alternative would be a true bypass looper box. I'm sure you can buy them, but it would be very easy to build one too. Four jacks, a stompswitch, and an enclosure to hold them.

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    Yea a true bypass looper would get me part of what I want but I'd still like to be able to take out the spring in the pedal to be able to leave the wah open.

Then again I suppose if I had the bypass looper I could still take out the spring and the wah would be engaged in itself unless I rock it all the way back.