1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Success

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Fretless, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Funky Fretless

Funky Fretless

Aug 3, 2012
    I know more than a few of us have bought a vm squier fretless. I've heard good things and some not so good. I recently purchased one from zzounds.com. The first one I received had raised fret lines causing the bass to sound like a fretted bass. I exchanged it and received another one with the same problem. I decided to keep it and fix the problem myself. I know there were other threads that discussed sanding the board but they didn't come up in the search, so I've decided to start a new one to share my experience. I purchased the 9.5 radius 4 in sanding block stew mac. I started wet sanding with 800 grit. Realizing that would take me till next week I decided to grab 120 grit and go big or go home. That made quick work of my problem. Literally, bout 6 min. I then wet sanded with 800, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, and finished with 2500 grit.

When I say that this friggin thing sounds unbelievable, that's an extreme understatement. So happy I took the time and extra 15 bucks cause now instead searching for a perfect fretless I got one and couldn't be happier. Next I'm gonna upgrade the bridge, tuners, pick ups etc...:hyper: