Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Successful audition last night!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jammadave, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had an audition last night which seemed to go pretty well... I arrived before one of the regular band guys, so I definitely wasn't late. Only brought my bass and my combo amp - no need to bring my pedalboard at this juncture...

...So, the night before, I had learned If I Had a Million Dollars, by Barenaked Ladies - nice bouncing/walking line, not too hard to pick up. I also had refreshed my Sultans of Swing =0) These tunes were part of what the guitarist had told me they were considering covering. Band's goal is to write and record originals, but they are starting with covers to get comfy first.

(note: Lead guitar, Rhythm guitar, and Lead vocalist who also plays acoustic guitar - no drummer yet, so I became the entire engine room last night)

Anyways, first song was the BNL song! sweet! we played that like 3 times and it sounded alright, but I have to show them the album version, because the live version is, well, live... harder to discern timing and such with all the vocals and whatnot, if you know the song you understand what i mean. They hadn't learned it "well" yet. No biggie.

Anyways, over the evening we played that, and Sultans, and a Men at Work tune i'd never heard before, but sounded a LOT like Hold On Loosely... And we threw in a very quick Crazy Train (and by quick I mean about 30% faster than usual). Night ended with some It Aint Over by Kravitz. The singer impressed me heavily on that tune.

Anyways, the crappy weather last night had soured my attitude a little but the jamming was so much fun I was giggling at having calluses on my fingers again after all these years! That's what an audition should feel like!

UPDATE: As I was writing this post I got a phone call and have just been informed the gig is mine!

w00+! The guy says I'm not near as rusty as I thought I would be and they dug me a bunch!

So, I sign off, as the new bassist for The Reflectors.

Okay, it's not the greatest name ever... but who cares?!

2. WooHoo...it's always nice to fit in.

Should be getting on that body here pretty soon. Then you'll be fixed for the wedding gigs ;)