Successful mod on my Hartke 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andruca, Mar 8, 2005.

1. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi guys! Just to let you know I changed the 5" on my Hartke 4.5XL cab. I put in a compression tweeter (Beyma, model CP16, made here in europe) and it works perfect now. I think Hartke's lieing a little when they claim this cab has a frequency response up to 12KHz (tested with parametric EQ and could not get anything beyond 8/9 KHz -and cranking it up 15dB!-). So now I have these super glassy highs I dig and it's also very smooth and not harshy at all (the 5" was rather harshy). Kept the same capacitor (2.2uF, which means it's cutting around 6/7KHz -the cab, all speakers and the horn are 8ohms). I had to cut a wooden round cover to addapt it to the existing 5's hole (the new tweeter is smaller), but no big deal. I post a photo of the horn I used and here are its specs:

15W power handling (AES) (8ohms)
    Sensitivity 105dB 1W/1m
    Freq. response 3-20KHz
    Recommended crossover 6KHz or higher
    Alluminium diaphragm, 1" copper voice coil, ferrite magnet and kapton voice coil former

And for only 28€ (plus your own hand labor -half an hour max-), it's really worth a try!

Attached Files:

2. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    ah! thats cool!! i was thinking of fitting soft dome tweeters to my 4.5XL.
    Very good sir! I'm impressed!