Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Successful mod on my Hartke 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andruca, Mar 8, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi guys! Just to let you know I changed the 5" on my Hartke 4.5XL cab. I put in a compression tweeter (Beyma, model CP16, made here in europe) and it works perfect now. I think Hartke's lieing a little when they claim this cab has a frequency response up to 12KHz (tested with parametric EQ and could not get anything beyond 8/9 KHz -and cranking it up 15dB!-). So now I have these super glassy highs I dig and it's also very smooth and not harshy at all (the 5" was rather harshy). Kept the same capacitor (2.2uF, which means it's cutting around 6/7KHz -the cab, all speakers and the horn are 8ohms). I had to cut a wooden round cover to addapt it to the existing 5's hole (the new tweeter is smaller), but no big deal. I post a photo of the horn I used and here are its specs:

15W power handling (AES) (8ohms)
    Sensitivity 105dB 1W/1m
    Freq. response 3-20KHz
    Recommended crossover 6KHz or higher
    Alluminium diaphragm, 1" copper voice coil, ferrite magnet and kapton voice coil former

And for only 28€ (plus your own hand labor -half an hour max-), it's really worth a try!

ANDRUCA

Attached Files:

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    ah! thats cool!! i was thinking of fitting soft dome tweeters to my 4.5XL.
    Very good sir! I'm impressed!