1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Successful P to PJ conversion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcfrankson, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcfrankson

mcfrankson Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Hey all,

I have a great '57 P bass reissue from Japan. I'm thinking of putting a J pickup in it but have had lots of mixed experiences with turning P's to PJ's. Can it be done successfully? Have you had an experience doing this? Let me know!

2. What do you mean by "can it be done successfully?" That depends on whether or not you route carefully and wire properly.

Slater likes this.
  3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    In short, I wouldn't. You have a nice bass that you say is great. PJ is a bit of a gamble, I rarely like the sound, maybe it's a question of the right pickup combo and/or pickup spacing. It's an irreversible mod + to get it done well, it would likely not be cheap (labor + parts). For not much more (if any), you can get a decent Squier, Yamaha or Ibanez PJ - they are plentiful so you often have quite a selection to choose a good one.

PawleeP likes this.
  4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Here's a custom made bass that started out with a P-Bass configuration. I added BOTH J-Bass Pick ups and a defeatable preamp. Haven't regretted since it was done over 35 years ago! (bridge p/u does have a cap that tolls off the highs for that p/u only).

IMG_0412.JPG

PawleeP likes this.