Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Successfully defretted.. wohoo..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I successfully defretted and just finished setting up an old 1977 ibanez lawsuit jazz with a maple neck. It sounds really good and currently has active emgs in it, but I may switch them out one day. I'm feeling the wahhhh bigtime :) The older wood really makes a nice deep clear tone.

2. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Congrats!!!
    :D

Pictures???

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sweet!!! I plan to do it with one of my basses. Can you give us a link to where you got the instructions? I have seen the ones in the FAQ here on TB, but I just want to see what other or more detailed processes there are. Thanks :)

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I didn't really need too many instructions :) The wood glue on this particular bass was pretty old, so all I had to do was slightly heat the frets (just rested a hot soldering iron on them) and slowly just popped them out with a very small screw driver. After all the frets were out, I used some brownish/tan wood filler and filled the fret lines with it. I let it dry a little while then did some touch up sanding around the frets. It's not a perfect defretting, but I've got the fret board basically buzz free and smooth so I'm happy :) It already had a slight gloss coating on the maple so it should hold up well to roundwounds.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hehe, unfortunately no, but it's easy to visualize. This is an exact replica of a '77 fender jazz, so imagine a maple necked 77 jazz with block inlays w/out frets ;) Burst finish with a reddish/black oystershell type pickguard.