Successfully defretted.. wohoo..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I successfully defretted and just finished setting up an old 1977 ibanez lawsuit jazz with a maple neck. It sounds really good and currently has active emgs in it, but I may switch them out one day. I'm feeling the wahhhh bigtime :) The older wood really makes a nice deep clear tone.

2. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Congrats!!!
    :D

Pictures???

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sweet!!! I plan to do it with one of my basses. Can you give us a link to where you got the instructions? I have seen the ones in the FAQ here on TB, but I just want to see what other or more detailed processes there are. Thanks :)

4. sweet, welcome to the club.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I didn't really need too many instructions :) The wood glue on this particular bass was pretty old, so all I had to do was slightly heat the frets (just rested a hot soldering iron on them) and slowly just popped them out with a very small screw driver. After all the frets were out, I used some brownish/tan wood filler and filled the fret lines with it. I let it dry a little while then did some touch up sanding around the frets. It's not a perfect defretting, but I've got the fret board basically buzz free and smooth so I'm happy :) It already had a slight gloss coating on the maple so it should hold up well to roundwounds.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hehe, unfortunately no, but it's easy to visualize. This is an exact replica of a '77 fender jazz, so imagine a maple necked 77 jazz with block inlays w/out frets ;) Burst finish with a reddish/black oystershell type pickguard.