Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Successfully defretted!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, May 23, 2002.

1. I successfully defretted my Hamer Slammer p bass. I turned it from pretty much a piece of trash into a sweet fretless. I used this website as a guide and it came out nice.
    -Skip

2. I also have defretted my old 4 black.
    And now it's a pretty fretless, that sound exellent!!!
    i'll check that site and come back with comments if i have some...
    see you later.

3. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Defretted two basses too... One at home, and the other professionally...

[​IMG]

Yamaha 6 string

4. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    [​IMG]

Dean 5 String

5. very nice

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    when i buy a new bass ill look into defretting my BTB...

BTB Fretless!! :D

7. they're two beauties...
    I would like to know a opuple of things about your bases, jbay.
    The last one (Dean), the neck dark color (it seems black) it's painted, lacqued, or it's the color of the wood?
    another: how did you fill the holes of the frets?
    last: where did the white marks of the 3th 5th 7th, etc. frets go?? the bass never had or you paint them?

PS: sorry my english, southamerica

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    MMMMMmmmmm I could just imagine a BTB fretless, I think it would be so schweet! 4 or 5 strings?

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    this one is 4 stringer...

im buying a nicer fiver this july (maybe) so the BTB would be used less (unless i defret it!) :)

too bad i dont know any luthiers or someone expert near me...

10. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Tung oil has an ambering effect on wood, the more coats u apply the deeper the color. In this case, the (already dark) rosewood got slightly darker. But it's really dark brown, not black.

I removed the inlays along with the frets. Filling em all with a dark brown color-ed wood filler. Then sanding the entire board down before oiling it. The filler I used actually accepted the tung oil pretty well too :)

But I had to apply quite a no. of coats of tung oil to the board. Cos of the oily nature of rosewood, it wasnt really all that "thirsty"... Had a rather "blotchy" effect during the first 8 coats or so...

11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Ive always wanted to defret a bass
    Fretless is really my thing...
    ehhhh Im going to buy another yamaha rbx 270 and defret it =D and put rotosound flats on it *OH THE JOY*

12. good site. i'm going to defret a bass this summer and i'm torn between using that site or chasarms' <http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/>.

yours looks easier but chas' looks more reliable.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I did a great deal of study before I defretted that bass. I have seen a few basses up close that have been defretted using liquid filler.

IMO, the wood filler strips make a much cleaner, neater marker. That's probably why so many factory fretlesses are made this way.

Paste fillers conform to any pits, chips, etc. in the board and can easily look blotchy.

Functionally, either method is sound. I just think using real, solid wood fillers looks much better.

I never realized how useful that site would be and how much traffic it would get.

Chas

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i wanted to visit that site, but somehow "exceeded its allocated data transfer"

:(

anyone has more fret removing sites? (with pics)

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

My site is not an HTML site, but simply a jpeg
    of a Xpress file. You can view the file (and thus the whole site) by clicking on the following link.

Chas

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/basstech/files/howto.jpg

16. i was reading this post earlier today and i realized what a great idea it was to defret my fender (Mexican Jazz bass). I never play it anyways....so i went to home depot, got my supplies and started away. So far it looks great! got all the fretts out filled with putty, sanded down, and the first coat of polyurthine over the top. Ill post pictures when im done. Its really comming along smoothly. Thanks for the idea guys :)

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey thanks, i had to suscribe to that gropu but it was worth it

18. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    jabay sez:

How much did the professional job cost? Are you equally satisfied with the result on both basses?

TIA

19. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    The pro job cost me S$250. And I'm pretty happy with it, not just becos the workmanship was good, but also becos of the work ethics of the guy. I initially asked for a lined fingerboard, which I changed my mind only after collection. The luthier re-did everything without charging me a single cent.

For the defretting I did myself, all's fine except that the nut has to be lowered some, which I would be bringing to the same luthier someday soon...

20. ive been applying my coats of polyurthane and i decided to put the strings on for a test. When i went to play it it seems that i have not sanded the neck right and all the strings have serous fret buzz :-/ the bridge is raised all the way. Has anyone ran into this problem, and can anyone offer any advice on what i should do?