Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Such a dumb lakland question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Feb 24, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So I plunked down a payment for a Black/ maple 55-01. Unfortunately, I've got to play the waiting game until April/May :bawl: . In the mean time I've been pondering probably THE most important aspect of the instrument. Should I put a pickguard on or not?:D

Seriously, I'm going to have Jeannie pickguards make a custom guard for the 55-01 should I decide that it augments the look of the bass. Compare the pictures, the affected on has a simple oval drawn (using MS paint) and the final guard will extend a little bit more to the mounting screws on the bridge pickup but I'm really going after the musicman vibe here.

And No I didn't pick the 55-01 because it was cheaper - I pcked it because a pair of Nordstrand Big Singles won't fit in a 55-02;) top it off with an aggie OPB-1 with a passive tone control and I think I have the makings of a really unique sounding beast. I just think the big singles will look better with a guard.

Whaddya say TB?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I like the look with the guard!

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

quick somebody , photoshop a tort pickguard on that baby !!!

4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Ooooh...tort would look good!

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I like the bottom one.

6. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I like the top one; no real quality reasons involved; I just like a clean look to a bass, unless you are talking one with a vintage look to it (one one that is a for-real vintage). If you were looking at a bass with an old-school look, I would get one with a pickguard in a contrasting color (e.g. burgundy body with a black guard, light blue with a white guard).

God, that sounds sooo girly...I'm going to stop there and go play some Disturbed on bass at full volume until my dignity returns.
    :bassist:

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Antique white pearloid would be nice too!:(

8. I couldn't bear to drill holes in that beautiful finish, but if I did it'd be tort.

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would say no PG, but if you do go with a PG, consider a guard similar to the one that is optional on the 55-94. A Lakland really deserves better than a knock off of the Musicman PG shape. Also, if you have to put a guard on, make it tort!

And congrats on the 55-01, you are going to love it. Are the Nordstrand big singles the right size for the mk1 routes, or will they leave some room? Also, have you considered having the new Lakland/Hanson pre put in it? I'm going to get one as soon as Dan lets me know that they are available.

10. +1

The 55-94 pickguard I received from "Jeannies" was really nice.

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Well I wouldn't go for the PG if I were you.

BTW you have the best sig I've ever seen and for some reason it is so true!!! :smug: