Such a tough choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EEbass04, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Mesa Boogie 4x10 Road Ready cabinet

3 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg Pro Series Extended Range 4x10

3 vote(s)
  3. Eden 4x10 standard(no ports)

0 vote(s)
  4. Aguilar GS 4x10

7 vote(s)
  5. Eden 4x10 XLT

12 vote(s)
  6. Ampeg SVT-6x10

2 vote(s)
  7. SWR Goliath III

7 vote(s)
  8. Acme B-4

1 vote(s)
  1. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I really need some extreme consideration between these choices of amps. My band plays harder rock with double bass and distortion guitar but has a few soft parts. Which amp would be able to give me the best coverage of these 2 completly different music types and still have more to give.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden of Aguilar. Which is the no brainer.

Of the two, pick the best for you. Anything else, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice, and would end up getting one anyway in the long run.

Then again, I might be a wee biased.

The acme's are nice, but they need about 700 watts or so per cab to really sing...
  3. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    I'm planning on getting the Carvin DCM1000 power amp which is 1000 watts at 4ohms and 700 watts at 8ohms bridged and those are RMS continuous.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well then, you might look into the Acme's. Nice stuff, from what I hear.
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    According to another member here (paging Richard Lindsey...) the Carvin amps are not very happy driving a 4 ohm Low B cab bridged.

If you're going with Acme, get a QSC RMX 1450 or 1850HD instead. It's in the same price range and it will drive a pair of 4 ohm Low B cabs all day. The 1850HD in particular is designed around 4 ohm bridged and 2 ohm stereo loads.

Do you play a 5 or 6 string bass? If not, given your band's dynamic range, you might want something more efficient than Acme cabs.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Mesa/Boogie... come on. Eden is just blown away by Mesa.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Nice stuff is right. I have heard others say that they have had problems cutting through in the mix with the Acmes. The people who complain the most were in Rock oriented bands. With the choices that you have listed, I would take the Aguilars. If I were you, I would also check into Genz Benz if you can find some in your area.
  8. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Exactly! That's why I sold my Mesa cabs and got EDENs!....wait a minute...

The only Mesa that stands up to an EDEN is the one with EV speakers in Road Ready Armor.

Mesa cabs are great though...the new ones are not as good.
  9. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Can I get a url for those QSC poweramps you are speaking of. And are they really in the $400 price range as the Carvin is selling right now?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have to agree with either the Eden or Aguilar. I personally like the Aguilar, but Eden is VERY similar. It all depends on your natural sound, or what you wish to achieve. I would say that the Aguilar is deeper sounding, while the Eden has a very nice
    low-mid. Both are great choices, and give a very hi-fi sound:)
  11. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    NBS Electronics in Denver has QSC amps for dirt cheap. I got my RMX 1850HD for $455 shipped! They've got similar deals on the other RMX and PLX amps too.

Lord Valve is the guy who runs the place. He only gives prices via email and phone. Good customer service, too.

I don't get paid to say this; in fact quite the opposite! I'm just a satisfied customer.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000

For rock, I would go with the Eden D410-XLT. I would also strongly consider the Aguilar.
  13. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    EDEN D410XLT

That is all you need to know!!!!
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Eden and Aguilar are my favorites of those you listed. But, there are other good cabs and configurations out there that may suit you better.

Try to compare as much as you can with your own two ears, rather than buy based solely on other's advice. What sounds good for one person is just average for someone else, and pure crap for a 3rd person. See how many differing opinions you've gotten thus far???
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

RAM said it very well. All the cabs listed are very good quality. Get the one that sounds best to you.