1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Such Thing as a Chord Progression Generator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 98dvl, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    I think it's a long-shot... But, I'll ask...

I'm wondering if there's such a pedal that spits out chord progressions... Kind of like Band In a Box, but in a pedal form.

I'd like to find a practice tool that would loop chord progressions, so that I could practice basslines, solos, etc. over them.

Ideally, it'd be nice to pick a key, and put in some chords from that key, how many bars/beats for each chord... that kind of thing. Kind of like a drum machine, but for chords instead of beats.

I'm guessing my best option is buying a Looper pedal, and laying down some chords from my guitar, but those pedals are a little on the pricey side.

The other option is using Band In a Box, but my office isn't my primary location for practice, and it's kind of a PITA sitting in front of my computer practicing.

Just wondering if there's anything else out there? I guess a keyboard might be able to do some of that kind of stuff too? Sure would be nice to have in a portable pedal though.

2. You need a sequencer/keyboard or a laptop. I think looping chords with a conventional pedal looper would be laborious and you'd have mixed success. Ideally you want something that quantises and is purpose built for programming sequences of samples/MIDI.

You could get away with just playing a progression into a looper, but it seems like you want more control than that.

If I were you (or perhaps, if you were me) I'd (you'd) be firing up Ableton Live, plugging into the USB audio interface and going for it. You could save sequences of recorded accompaniment and trigger them flexibly using "follow actions" commands. This is just one example of the many awesome applications of Live.

3. ...and if you're set on the pedal idea, connect up a MIDI foot control!