Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Such thing as a single-string capo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'd like to be able to put a capo on my E string to change keys, without capoing the rest of the strings. I know that there are 5th string capos for banjos (they attach permanently and slide around - don't really want that), but what about bass? I don't own a capo, but I've used them before. Is it posible to just capo the E with a regular capo, and if not, do single string capos exist?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know, but an Xtender would surely do the trick.

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    It would, sort of, but they're pretty expensive, and only do 2 tunings. E to D would be nice, but it's not versatile enough to justify $50. Hipshot should definitely make a bass version of their Trilogy bridge. I think the Hyperbass has one, but they aren't available anywhere else, and I'm not buying a Hyperbass.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw this guy open for Jeff Beck. He kicked butt big time!. All he had was an accoustic guitar and he used a "partial capo" on a few songs.

He could play like Satriani on a six and 12 string accoustic. And, he can sing!

That's the only fractional capo I know of.

Damn, that guy was good!

5. A capo doesn't change the tuning or the pitch of the string at a given fret, remember. It only changes the open string pitch. If you really want drop D and standard tuning on the same bass, a capo will be useless.

So, if you want to use something like a Third Hand Capo to change some of the open strings (for harmonics, possibly), then fine - but the rest of the bass will retain the old tuning. It might also be useful to tune your bass to D and then capo up when you want a low E to pound on. Suit yourself.

I made my own adjustable partial capo with a normal screw capo and a cut up tube capo - I force bits of the tube over the capo bar so open strings are free to ring and the rest are pressed down by the tube material. Fully customisable and everything!

I don't use it any more.

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I'm quite aware of what a capo does. All I want it for is to give me a different open low string, so that when I'm playing solo, I can play leads and chords and so forth up high on the neck without being tied to just the key of E. If I use a capo across all the strings, it'll severely limit what I can play, especially if I'm capoing higher up. Thanks for the help.

7. Sorry, I somehow got the impression you were talking about different tunings. No implication that you are a dumbass was intended.

I don't see that a partial capo will limit you any less - if you partial capo at the eight fret and intend to fret the open strings below that position, it's quite possible but very tricky to smoothly negotiate the shift between below-capo and above-capo, particularly if you are improvising. I know cos I've tried.

If all you want is the different low open string, consider using or even modifying a Kyser partial capo for that purpose. Use two and you can even modulate down during the song. :)

A modified Kyser might look something like this:

[​IMG]

8. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I read the Third Hand Capo website, and I'm intrigued. Do you know if it's string spacing is adjustable, or if it would work on a bass?

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I always thought a cool way to use a capo on bass would be to capo the 12th fret, and voice chords as if they were played on a guitar using the open strings.

10. I use a normal capo on bass quite succesfully, so my guess is that the Third Hand would be an acceptable fit. As for the string spacing, I have no idea.

Why don't you try emailing them? Or consider making your own, low string only capo by modifying an existing one? I've done it.