Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Such thing as F-Less Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Is there a such thing as a Fretless Squier Bass or a Fretless P-Bass?

thanks...

-Jon:oops:

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know about the Squire, but you can pick-up a fretless P-Bass.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm sure there is at least one person out there who has taken the frets off of their squire in search of something more.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    fender does not produce a SQUIRE bass (j or p bass)that is offered with the frettless option, i have seen many on e-bay that were MADE frett-less by someone after market, i have done research on this subject because a roomate i had, told everyone that he was an awesome bass player for 15 yrs, and i was the only person who knew he was lying. HOW you ask? he said he had a frett-less squire 5 string model bass that he gigged and recorded with,one nite at a party he was bragging about his "band" i handed him a bass and said play a little for us,he replied that he only played fett-less ,thats when i hit him with a article from a web-site about no frett-less SQUIRES ever produced.:D

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I defretted my SQUIER last week, as a matter of fact.

i still need to epoxy it though...

6. M.M.
    Did you have much trouble removing your Squier's frets? The American Fenders used to have unusual frets that were pressed into the slots from left to right rather than vertically with a hammer. It was though to remove them without chipping the hell out of the fingerboard...

Thanks.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You got that right.

They do produce a "Squier", however.

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    we cant all spelling bee champs like you , I KNOW I AT LEAST GOT THAT RIGHT !:spit:

9. Maybe the guy took off the frets himself. Or maybe he's just a poor s*cker. Even if you only play fretless you sure can produce some notes on a fretted bass!!!

It spells S-Q-U-I-E-R.

10. But do they make a fretless SCWIRE?

11. i'm positive i once saw a fretless skwa-yer

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I defretted by Squier P Special 5...it's wonderful.

The frets were easy to remove, I used (clean:D ) toe nail clippers, started at one end to get under the fret then carefully worked along its length a little at at time to work it out. I didn't have too many problems with chipping.

I used 0.020 in. thick polystyrene from a hobby shop and super glue to fill the slots.

Instead of coating the fingerboard, I'm using Elixirs which sound great and don't seem to be attacking the rosewood board the way that the original strings did.

The only other change that I made was to shim the neck slightly...and flatten the relief for excellent mwah.

13. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hehe, this post reminds me of the guy from Daria with the eye that pops out.

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Imma pick up a cheap skuayrr and defret it....

im sure everyone loves misspelling things obscenely for reasons other than making fun of someone's typo.......heheh :p