1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

such thing as TalkGuitar ever existed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by denchiq, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Is it just me or gui****s (yeah, I love mine too) seem to be more self-centered, arrogant, less communicative if anything, throughout the world? I've browsed through a number of guitar forums, but bashing and trolling is least one could say about any of them.
    Is there a sacred place for guitar players at all where they exchange their lore and do not show off [as much]?

:rollno::scowl::confused: (the Horizontal Totem Pole of Scorn, Disapproval and Disbelief)

2. touji

touji

Feb 12, 2009
    Williamsburg, VA
    Have you checked out The Gear Page? It's seen better times but I love the place.

3. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Silly OP, gui****s can't talk.

(Im just kidding obviously, but I couldn't resist)

4. This question has been asked many times before on TB. The short answer is "NO". TalkBass is a unique place. There are a lot of theories about why, but the bottom line is that there is no other site on the 'net like TalkBass.

Just one of those anomolies, I guess. "The 8th Wonder of the World" type thing. There's no other site like TalkBass and there won't be. There are other good sites; there are no others like TB.

5. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    There used to be a guitar forum, i cant remember the name, mebby it was guitar.com?

I think the closest i ever saw was www.sevenstring.org or somthing.

6. thumbs up!

7. the OP didn't say "any close to TB!" ;)

8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    You could try Harmony Central forums for guitar.Not as good as TB but ok for guitar heads.

9. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    check out www.guitarchaos.com

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    It is true there is nothing like TB in gui****land. Sevenstring.org is an interesting place but seems to populated with a very large number of totally green clueless newbies. I suppose that is to be expected because of the popularity of wanting to become "guitar heros" among the young. Bass players on the other hand often have been involved in some kind of music for a while and either are switching from guitar or even better somehow felt a calling to play bass. I think that tends to make bass players more serious.

The problem with Sevenstring and places like it compared to TB is that the older, wiser, and more knowledgeable bass players sort of take a responsibility to clue in the next generation. And that creates a tremendous source of REAL knowledge. Over in the guitar forums like sevenstring there is lots of excitement, and even talent. But as for experience, one seems to get the impression that it's one huge noob party with the blind leading the blind.

Start there, and then add the fact that gui****s tend to be rather competitive which leads to being secretive about licks, tone, techniques, tricks etc. and one can see why TB is a unique place.

And yes, I do play guitar too, so I have some idea of just how these are two separate worlds.

11. Guitarists are all having a Sausage Fest over at Ultimate-Guitar.com

12. Actually guitarists are about the same as bassists in those characteristics you listed... The apparent difference is because TalkBass is well-moderated by the staff. If it were as loosely policed as most of the guitar forums out there, TalkBass would be just as full of poor behavior. Because TalkBass has a decent set of guidelines that is properly policed, the tone here is a lot more respectful and well-organized, which in itself encourages good behavior by example.

13. ^^That is absolutely true. I also visit a couple of photography forums, and I can report the same. Where's good rules and moderation, people behave :)

Regards,
    Adrian

14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This. Bass players are used to, and often relish, playing the same thing over and over, so it's perfectly natural for us to be OK answering the same noob questions over and over :D:D

15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't see TB as a heavily moderated place... quite the contrary. I think the difference is in the userbase, I mean we spam like crazy but we can hold our horses. Seldom do I see actual mod action - or it's just so well-hidden we don't notice.

16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes there is such a place. Its called the Telecaster Discussion Page (Reissue) or tdpri.com

Its definitely different than talkbass, but in terms of generally having good helpful people on there, it's similar. As its name suggests, its pretty heavily Telecaster focused, but there's definitely room for other guitars in their areas. Of course, I've encountered a few people I probably wouldn't buy a coffee for if I met them in person, but by and large the folks are really good, and there's no flame wars and name calling.

17. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Fender Discussion Page is predominantly mature, open discussion. I spend some time over there, too.

18. With proper and good moderation and a good set of user guidelines, there would be no obvious heavy moderation. Actual mod action is only a small part of the picture. Blatant mod action would be rarely seen in a place where, because of the set of rules in place and the fact that they are enforced, the users behave themselves properly. Contrast this with a place like Harmony Central (at least when I last checked several months ago), where the forums were almost unusable because of no moderators or administrators enforcing rules there with regard to off-topic posting, etc.

When the place is a mess, there is no motivation for the users to behave properly, and people who would set a good example don't bother participating because it's an unkempt den full of unruly behavior. When the forum is run properly and kept neat, organized, and civilized, it attracts the participation of decent users, and those who would misbehave either are driven out or they change their behavior and act properly.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Yep they drag their knuckles and grunt!

20. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Off topic:
    Let's encourage & welcome TB's old members & bass experts that don't visit often, or yawn Emoticon_yawn. at newer members' posts without adding helpful comments.

Back on topic:
    --Best gui**** discussion site: TDPRI.

--Best non-bass classifieds: TGP.

--Various Fender sites are NOT very helpful for other brands!