Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suck knob...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 8, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So, I played an opener the other day, for a Cross Canadian Ragweed concert. Big PA, lots of toys. Well, as I'm huddled behind a rack of gear off to the side of the stage right before we go on, I marvel at this toy - a floor rack with a slant top that has a touch-screen "virtual" bank of knobs, sliders, etc. Glancing at some of the virtual controls, I see several modules with a virtual knob labelled "suck knob."

Hope they kept those turned down while we were playing! :D

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Our soundman usually labels the spare channels on his board with stuff like that. Passers-by like to gawk at the board, and he gets a kick out of it. Suck. Cheese. Wank. Sometimes the labels get a bit rude . . .

On a similar note, an opening band before us were seen stuffing massive amounts of coke up their noses before their set. The soundmand's wrote on one of their flyers and attached it to his rack:

"(bandname): 20% less suck, 40% more blow".

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heehee... this band has a shtick where we poke fun at each other on stage by way of making requests to the sound man: "Hey, could you turn down the (rude and politically incorrect) knob on the guitar player in my monitor over here?"

:D

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Naw. it's usually at 10, that just put it to 11 ...

Picture 'Spinal Tap' in Jazz Band Mode ...

:bag:

6. i actually had a suck circuit built into my first bass, it was set to work in conjucntion with my volume knob. the more i turned up, the more my suck circuit would increase in intensity...

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    once again, i have a silver bullet waiting for you in march!

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I work with a soundguy that labels his spare channels as "Singer's Foldback". So whenever they ask for more, he moves the orphan slider until he inevietable get the thumbs up :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The suck is strong with this one.

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The suck is strong in this one.

11. "Hey, could the sound guy please turn the suck knob down on my guitarist?"

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

NJL's knob is at 11 this week I hear, what with Fiesta in
    San Antone ...

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I make sure I never buy gear with a suck knob but it never seems to help. Then not too long ago my wife noticed a small knob labeled "suck" behind my left ear. Unfortunately the scale on it goes from 10-20 so it looks like I'll never get close to 0. :bawl: