1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sucked back into the pedal vortex

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You people are evil. I come in here one day looking for info on the VT, and I see all the fun you're having, and I figure hey, why not get a cheap small Zoom multi to go along with the VT? I find 4 or 5 presets I like to use, then I start bumming because I can't blend some effects with others. Never mind the fact that I could do every single gig I do without a single effect...I've got to be able to blend phase with the envelope filter and cascade overdrives!

So despite my best efforts to resist the urge to build a big stupid pedalboard, mine just got a little bigger and a little more stupid. Not that much bigger...it's only a Nano Small Stone ($50 w/free shipping from Ebay...not bad), but doggone it, once again I'm finding it hard to resist the lure of pedals over a multi. The presets on the Zoom are pretty good but none of them are as good as dedicated pedals.

I'm going to resist the urge, though. Everyone I work with thinks I'm entering a second childhood. Plus my board is at a nice small size and I want to keep it that way. I can squeeze the Small Stone on there but any more than this and I'll have to cut a new board. I just can't have it.

And yet I feel like it's inevitable...a giant pedal vortex I'm being sucked into. I can't tell if it's heaven or hell, but I know one thing for sure...Cliff Williams would kick me in the balls.

2. My advice would be to give in and hard.

3. Yes I know where you are coming from Jimmy. I have been sucked back into the vortex over the last couple of weeks. Just dropped a wack of cash on pedals on the weekend and a PT board. Trouble is I am not done. I am GASing for a snyth pedal like the Chunk OS or the EHX BMS.

Damn FX!!!

4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Step 1: We are powerless over effects and our pedalboards have become unmanageable. :smug:

5. RocketGuy

RocketGuy

Mar 8, 2009
    Just suck it up and cover the new board in blue checker.

6. sad but SO true

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    After these replies, I feel like I've been assimilated by the Borg ;)

8. Seriously though. Going in full ball and buying anything that strikes your interest makes you want less. I'm currently in the phase of downsizing since I've tried almost everything that piqued my interest and figured out that I only like certain effects. But I've had the experience and that has qualmed my itch.

For example it turns out 2 octave up whammy effects are pretty useless on bass outside your bedroom.

You'd probablly be particularly good at distancing yourself from effects that aren't practical since you play more regularly than most.

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm with you Jimmy...

i get sucked into the vortex on specific types of effects, and then shotgun through a dozen different models until I find the "one" that really speaks to me...last month it was phasers (and I'm still looking at them), and now this month, it's fuzz/OD/distortion...I told myself I would never use a fuzz with anything I do in this current band...but i got one and start noodling here at home...and dig it, so now I want one for my board...

I am finally happy with chorus, compression, filter, boost/pre, and delay (I think)...What will it be next month? Maybe back to phasers...i dunno...

10. Resistance is futile! Especially resistance to pedals.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    God Nicky, am I really at the point again where I need that? ;) I did used to do that...had a DOD noise gate/loop pedal I used to use for that. Don't have it anymore, but I imagine I'm going to need one eventually if I add anymore.

BTW, thx everyone...now I see I'm not the only effects nutjob out there ;)

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    If the sound is in your head, and you wish to get that sound, I see no problem with it.

14. But even that shows not just 1 looper (easy decision, need a looper - buy it!) but 43 or so different products!!! WHere do ya start!

The horror! :bassist:

15. i'd use some kind of loop if i were you, sure. but if there's no audible difference between your tone plugged in direct and your clean tone through your board, then why bother?

16. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Jul 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    1 year ago I had no effects. Today I'm considering a second pedaltrain b/c I've run out of room I don't want to carry my Moog LPF around to every gig. I never knew it could get like this?

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    One point from another nutjob:D
    Those loopmasters are cool particularly if you get a 4+ looper, you can then run your board almost like presets in a multi, there is no real limit to what one can have in any of the loops so you can turn on and off and mix many sounds.

18. IMO Jimmy- Find a good OD, a good Envelope Filter, a good WAH & one other U like - a Phaser/chorus/flanger etc & stick to that. Well thats MY advice.
    In MY case it's:- VT-Bass & or BAdder Monkey or Russian Big Muff(BassBigMuff I'd like poss?? ;-) then EXH BMS OR Digitech BSW, Wilson Q-wah & a tuner that's MY board.
    Sure there are a few 'options' but I keep it to:- Bass to..>
    Tuner > Wilson Wah > EHX BMS/ Digitech BSW > Badder Monkey/Big Muff > VT Bass > Amp Often one or two are left outta chain. & this'll cover most of my needs!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Mudfuzz, you stop with your evil talk of no limits!!! I need limits. I play oldies :D

Rod, I think you're more in line with my thinking. But I'm already at the 4 pedal limit and I need a couple more. That idea was shot from the start ;)

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    So! One of the bands I play with is blues/americana and I bring my board: which usually is 6-7+ a tuner, [I really want a rack tuner at this point] and I understand your concern;) my board is under a third of what I was running before, I purposeful went with a small board otherwise I can go overboard without thinking, it is very easy when you have over 55 pedals plus two tape echos:bag: