Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sucks for bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Warwick0239, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Don't you really hate how in ever music store there are tons of guitar and tons of drum stuff then a little spot with bass things. Like in our guitar center they have tons of guitars and drums then a little corner with a couple bass things. I think to make up for this there should be a bass only store.

2. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Warwick0239, haven't you ever heard of The Bass Palace?
    http://www.thebasspalace.com/

They are in Scanton, PA. If I lived in Pa I'd be going there.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I find it depends on the store you go to. Some music stores I've been to are like that. They have a ton of guitar stuff, but like 4 basses hanging up. Then other stores I've been to, have a bass selection that almost rival's there guitar section.

Again, it's easy to get upset, but you have to see it from the music stores perspective. Probaly majority of the guitars they sell are to "hobbyist" who just sit around their house and pick and grin. If you play bass, chances are, you play with a band, or are planning on playing with a band. If they order to many basses, they're just going to have excess stock that they are going to have trouble getting rid of.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well in London, I wouldn't think of going into a guitar store - I go to the Bass Centre, possibly browse the Bass Cellar and the Gallery which are all Bass-only!! :)

5. In Hong Kong they have a pretty decent selection of both, although their bass stock is probably 40 - 45% Fender, 25% Ibanez, 5% Yamaha, and the rest of their selection is limited to maybe 5 basses by any other company. It's great for a beginner bass player, like some of my friends were aspiring to be (but never became) because they had plenty of cheap J- and P-basses going for very decent prices, as well as entry-level Yamaha and Ibanez basses, but if I wanted to go serious gear-shopping, I'd be lucky to find anything I was interested in. Most of the good gear gets snagged by local studio artists/guys in cantopop bands with wads of cash.
    Although they don't seem to have ever sold any of their minute Zon or Alembic collection.
    Now if only I had wads of cash... :p

6. hey bruce, got any links for those shops??

Still looking for a Gibson before I order the Fender.. :(

7. Those London stores...are they all on Denmark Street?....cool Street....

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jesus.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
  11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, click on the bass-central link... they are pretty good at helping people out... but there is this one guy there....

If you knew what I did for a living, you would find it funny as hell that I am telling you to contact Gard for most of your bass needs... however, some of the larger online retailers have good prices and good selection as well...

Hey Gard, where's my bass! :D

P@

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    You keep talkin' about that one guy - a thinly veiled finger pointing at myself, I'm certain - and I'll tell everyone where you work!

:p

Pat's right, there are some very good retailers out there, I have nothing but respect for the "competetion". There are some great people out there helping the bass-playing public.

Oh, and your bass is not there, nor is it here....

;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

The joke woulda worked better if you'd placed say....Bass Northwest where the asterik is, hm?

;)

...and for that crack, the Bass Nazi says: "No Circle Spalted Maple Roscoe LG-3005 for you!"

:D

16. Our giutar center is huge. It is departmentalized into 5 rooms and a main room. The main room is mostly guitars. Each room is a different instrument. one for accoustics, one for drums, one for dj equipment, one for production gear and a HUGE bass room (mostly fender, warwick, ibanez and ernie ball) and all the different amps are pluged in. Every time I go there, even if it is just for string, i spend the better part of a day just messing around. I love it.

17. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Bass cellar, IMHO, is a bit overrated. Sure, they sell it all, but the two guys that ive met working there werent very helpful...they seemd to want my money so badly theyd sell me anything.

The Gallery is near where i work, i used to go in there at lunchtimes and just stare...helpful staff there too.

Bass Cantre, next week my friend, i shall be there :)

18. Bruce Lindfield

I don't like the Bass Cellar at all - but the thread/original post was asking about "bass only " shops.

The only reason I go there at all is that it is on my way from the office to Tottenham Court Road tube station!!

19. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    why didnt you like the bass cellar? same reasons?
    Im in london ALL the time with work and auditions and stuff. So its pretty handy where it is....and the astoria is just around the corner too. And where exactly IS bass centre? I didnt know it existed till i bought the new brit bassmag.