1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sudden Drop in Amp Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by what_now, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. what_now

what_now

Oct 12, 2020
    I own an Ashdown Evo II 500 bass head that has recently had a sudden huge drop in volume. I'm talking so quiet that you can easily talk over it, even when it's absolutely cranked. It doesn't sound distorted or really bad in any way, just an incredibly quiet clean sound.

I've ruled out anything wrong with the bass, cab or cables, and made sure the mute button wasn't pressed.

Any ideas what could cause this? A blown fuse? A busted pre-amp tube? Anything else I might not have thought of?

2. I have some tube amps here and if there's a preamp tube shot, there's usually some distortion. There's a chance it's your preamp tube, but not likely. It's also unlikely to be a fuse, as you would have no sound at all. If you're confident about opening up the chassis, you could try replacing the tube yourself.

If not, it's time to take it to a tech, or find out about your warranty. A good tech will save you time, money and heartbreak. As far as costs go, if it's warranty it could be nothing. If you have to go to a tech, it really won't be a ton of money in the grand scheme of things.

My local guy charges $100 CDN to take a look at the piece of gear, which he applies to the cost of repair. Unfortunately, other folks have dropped gear off to get an estimate and then balked at the cost of repair so he now has a bunch of orphan gear. It's part of the cost to have a good tech take care of your gear, and the only way to protect himself.

YMMV.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you have some headphones to test it, how does it sound through the headphone-out? That would help narrow down the possibilities.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Try headphone out if you have it. See if that is reduces too.

Does the amp have an fx loop? If so use a cable to run send into return and see if the issue persists.
    Also;
    If you have another amp or preamp use its line out or fx send into the fx return of the Evo.

These steps can maybe at least help figure out if there is something happening in the pre or power section.

5. What ^ said.
    Tip, do not crank the volume when you notice a drop. If it comes back to normal it can destroy your speakers.

Lobster11 and basscooker like this.
  6. what_now

what_now

Oct 12, 2020
    Thanks for all the advice/tips. I turned it on to try out some of these ideas for testing it and it's now working perfectly, so who knows what's going on!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Lobster11 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021