Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sudden lack of bass response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i have a fender 51 reissue and a '70's bassman amp. lately i notice when i roll off the tone on the bass i lose volume, and when i roll all the way of it is almost inaudible. i haven't had the chance to try different bass/different amp.does anyone have any idea what is up? i also posted this on bass guitar forums.

2. Sounds like a wiring problem with your bass not your amp

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Tubes?

4. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey Jamesonellis, If I read your Problem right, you're saying, that your "passive tone control" is acting like a volume control on your Re-issued Fender precision Bass, correct? If that's the case, you probably have a few strands of wire from the middle Lug of your tone pot, strataling across to the Lug, where the capacitor is terminated; that's the most likely cause. Another possibility is, you could have a "shorted", or grounded, capacitor; or possibily "wet". Anyway, It sounds like a pretty simple problem. If your comfortable with a soldering iron, you can remove the chrome control cavity cover, and re solder the frayed wiring, or if nothings wrong with the wiring, you might remove the cap, pick up a new one from radio shack or GC, and put it in. most likely, that's the problem. Drop a note and let us all know what you find; I'd be curious to know how you made out!:bassist:

5. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    actually it is just much quieter with the tone turned down,it is not literally acting as the volume.i took off the cover and everything looks ok,the wires were sort of crowded in the recess so there is a good chance of physical contact,although i wouldn't think shielded wires would short.i intend to clean the pots tomorrow and see what happens.thanks for the thorough advice! and will keep you posted(sic).

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Shorted tone capacitor?

7. nt40lanman

nt40lanman

Jul 25, 2005

Exactly what I thought when I read the description

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1...

- georgestrings

9. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    anyone know what the tone capacitor rating should be for the "51?

10. 4runner

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey jamesonellis, the tone capacitor should be .005 mfd x100v, and the pot should be 250K with a 3/4" shank; I would change them both while you'ye got the bass opened up. please double check my info. :bassist:

11. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    the capacitor says TK 104k. on it. should i go crazy trying to find a 104k cap? or does that not relate to anything? also where can i order one? i would like to get the same type again for the sake of instrument integrity,the stu-mack ones are brown pancake shaped,mine is a green flattened cylinder.thanks again.

12. 4runner

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    It's very likely that "TK104K", is just a stock #,or a model #. I use a 1966 Fender Jazz Bass,and I've had to change both of the volume pots, and the tone pot because they were getting noisey, and every once in a while, I'd get this Explosive "POP",and buzz. So to protect my speakers,I had to perform some surgery. I just kept, and labeled, all of the old parts, in case I ever sell it. So plan to Label your old parts, and keep them in a safe place. Meanwhile, remember that it's okay to replace original parts, especially if the instument that you're most proud of, is one that you actually use, and not just a show piece. :bassist:

13. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    it was the tone cap, got it from stewmac, soldered it in, done. incindentally they have no idea what pots to use in a '51 reissue, the ones they sent were 1" dia, mine has 5/8" dia. they don't stock the smaller dia. pots. thanks a lot for the advice!