Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sudden problem with my Modulus...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rob_d, May 9, 2005.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I've just noticed that all of a sudden my Modulus will suddenly drop in volume. It will be fine at first, then all of a sudden it gets quieter and the tone changes a little too...gets a little weaker I guess I'd say. It's not super obvious but it's definitely stands out to me. I tried changing cables, and changing the batteries but it's still doing it. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Could be a dirty jack.

3. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Thanks for the info. How would one go about cleaning a jack properly?

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if its active change your battery.

if not, open up the back and check the solder on the input jack.

5. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Batteries have been changed..cables..tried into different amps. No difference. The bass is fine when I first pick it up but after playing for about a half hour it pops into the lower volume, and tone change. It almost sounds like it's going from active to passive..but this bass doesn't have a passive mode. Could something be getting hot in there since it does it after playing for a while..and not when first plugging in? I don't know the first thing about this stuff.

6. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I had a ten year old Pedulla with a similar problem except that mine was not loud to begin with. It just suddenly had extremely weak output. I tried batteries and cables.
    I ended up having to change the electronics. I purchased a Bartolini complete wiring harness, reconnected the pickups and it was fine. Actually, sounded better than it ever had.
    Anyway, that's what worked for me. I have no idea how you would test for that.
    I figured that it might have been that and if it was, I would have to pay someone to check it out, and then pay for the new electronics anyway, so I took a chance, paid about $100 for new components and got out my soldering iron.
    Better than new.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just dip a a Q tip in rubbing alcohol and rub it all over inside the jack. That usually works for me.