1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suddenly, I'm British.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been doing some research on a possible move to Europe in a couple of years, and stumbled across the UK's citizenship laws on their embassy's website. As it turns out, I'm technically a British citizen - my father was born in England, which grants me automatic citizenship in the UK, even though I was born in America. Fancy that.

As far as I can tell, I'm good to go for getting my British passport, and could move to the UK any time I please. The UK's immigration laws are fairly convoluted, but I've done a lot of research and it seems that I'm correct about my citizenship. I've always wanted to move away from America for a while, and perhaps this will pave the way for me. Sweet.

I'm planning a trip to England next spring/summer, partly for fun, partly for research about this country that I could possibly reside in. Methinks London would be too big and expensive for a professional guitar tech/bassist to survive in, but I'd like to live in a place with a vibrant art/music scene.

I'm looking for advice from British TBers on all things English: should I drink my tea plain or with milk? Should I begin work on my stiff upper lip now, or do I need proper training? Can I start calling "English muffins" just "muffins"? Should I bother bringing a toothbrush?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    As am I based upon the same criteria. You can also work in the common market. So expand your horizons because England's job market AFAIK is worse that ours.

3. Wanka.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I can do lots of stuff - but I'm damn good at repairing and building instruments. But yes, those aren't the kind of skills that gets a brother paid serious bread. Although I've managed to do pretty well for myself in a fairly difficult job market in San Francisco - England can't be too much worse.

5. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Keep telling yourself that. You'd be better off getting back together with your sexy doctor friend and mooching off of her.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm too busy mooching off my sexy asian scientist friend to bother with old flames.

7. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It's posts like this that make me want to develop a Maki's Seal of Approval graphic. :D

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I am too because my mum was born in Scotland

9. They'll let anyone in the country these days . . .

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I think the lousy British dental work is more a product of being stuck on a small island for several millennia and interbreeding rather than bad hygiene. Somewhat like Mountain Dew mouth in West Virginia.

[/sarcasm]

Just netflix reruns of The Blackadder,...Top Gear,...Fawlty Towers,...Monty Python,...develop your accent and a cheeky dislike for the French and Zee Germans and you should be set.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    That would make a heck of a band name.

Suddenly British

12. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Seems to be the same as the US. You can be a citizen at birth by Jus Soli (right of soil) or Jus Sanguinis (right of blood). Seems that you fit criteria #2. Hope your dad can find his birth certificates and such. I'm sure you are going to need them.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Suddenly life has new meaning to me
    There's beauty up above and things we never take notice of
    You wake up suddenly you're Bri-tish

-Mike

14. if he was born in england there will be a record of it.....they've been keeping good records since the doomsday book......even my family who were landless and indigent before they came here are on file....

15. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    learn to:

- drink 9 pints of Stella in an afternoon
    - not talk about your feelings

...you'll fit right in.

16. I heard the same thing from Uncle Daddy.;)

17. get the passport. dont move for the work (school only). ive got just an american passport (my 3rd... been all over real young). id like a couple, and some countries id way rather show britt id than american info.

its just like that. if you can get a britt pp. then get one NOW, even if you never use it.

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    you might want to revise that statement. At first, I was under the impression that you were advising Ben to steal a British man's penis, and then never have sex again.

19. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    That is sig worthy.

20. As a British citizen you should be able to easily move to Australia or Canada also, though why you would want to move to Canada I don't know*.

*(sarcasm, my mother's side of the family are Canadian)

I have been looking at moving to Australia. Not that easy unless you have "family ties" to Australia. Haven't given up yet, getting pretty close though. Anyone know a company that will sponsor an Opto-mechanical tech?