Suddenly seeking common sense

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shaftfx, Nov 15, 2000.

1. shaftfx

Mar 28, 2000
    Yorktown, NY
    i need help and i know this is going to be a REALLY stupid qiestion. i recently was playing my fender jazz bass when the volume control button just took upon itself to just fall off. Not only that it wont stay on. What should i do to put it back and make it stay there?
  2. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Did the pot shaft itself stay in place? If so, this should be fairly easy. Replacement knobs can be had from various places (Carvin mail order catalog, I'm sure any guitar shop would have them). Some knobs have small screws that put pressure on the pot shaft, so you might just need to tighten the screw with a hex driver. Or you could try glueing the old knob back on. If there are tic marks to indicate knob position, be sure to line them up first! :)

If the pot shaft is broken, I'd just take it into a guitar repair shop.

3. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    my volume knob WON'T come off and I did ruin the pot, but today it's getting fixed so I will be able to hear how bad I sound soon :D

the knob was "epoxied" on by a dummy at guitar center before I bought it, when I took the bass home I noticed that all of my knobs were loose and tried to tighten the little nut holding them onto my pickguard......stupid me.

Oh well, you could try going to guitar center and ask what they use to "fix" the knobs that keep falling off :D .
  4. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    D'oh! After hearing the epoxy comment, I realized how bad of an idea this is! If you ever need to get the pot off, you'd have to destroy the knob to do so. Scratch that idea off as a bad one.

5. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    it was not meant as JUST a suggestion to fix shaftfx's loose was more of a sarcastic reference to guitar center's technical and repair teams. :D

to PROPERLY fix shaftfx's knob, it would be better to get a new one that fits or has an adjustment/tightening screw that keeps it on......

just to let you know, I had the wrong type/size pot to fix my fender yesterday, so it's been postponed until I can get to someone who knows about fixing guitars/basses/musical instruments. (another low blow to guitar center's TOP-NOTCH fix it shop, or the employees who think a little bit of epoxy won't hurt :D )
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you use glue on your knobs, use Elmers It'll hold the knob pretty secure but you can still break the bond if needed for repairs later. I do that with all my amp knobs too.
    But why not just get a new knob or set screw and do it right?
  7. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    Even though I bought the wrong size pot (physically it was too big to fit under my pickguard) I found a luthier/guitar technician at my place of work, needless to say we are going to become very good friends!! :D He took my broken ::sniff:: bass and all the parts, came back about 2 hours later and handed me my bass, ALL FIXED.....WAHOOO!!

the only difference, is a new volume knob and of course the new pot.....oh yeah, he also tweaked the truss rod a bit (the neck was way too flat, kept rattling the strings on 2nd to 7th frets) and he raised the action on the E & A more fret buzz.....if he wasn't a guy, I'd kiss him. :)
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Dang....Some guys have all the luck.