1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suede backed straps or leather backed straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AttitudeCastle, Sep 28, 2009.

Suede or Leather Backed Straps?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2009.
  1. Suede

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Leather

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. AttitudeCastle

AttitudeCastle

Sep 1, 2009
    UK
    Hey All

I've decided to spend alot and get my bass a strap that doesn't cut into my shoulder, using a nylon 1.5" strap that cost $10 from GC is no good from a Yamaha Attitude!

So i've been looking at Italia and Moody leather

Moody seem better, but then again are double the price, plus till the end of today its 2 for 1 at italia!

so im going to buy 2 italia straps will save for a moody i guess

but, before i buy, i see that the suede backed ones are cheaper that the all leather ones, but, whats the difference and which do you like more?

Adam

2. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Personally, I hate the way suede straps "grab" my shirt and wont let the bass move freely on my shoulder.
    I have a Levy's suede strap that I modified by having a smooth leather strap sewn onto the underside. Now it's my favorite strap.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I like suede because they grab my shirt and the bass doesn't move around

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Suede's good for neck-divers.

Imaginary Pony and AdamK like this.
  5. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I like the suede because they grab my shirt and don't slip. I like that when I let go of my bass, it's where I left it before I let go.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  7. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I use 2.5"-wide suede straps from Levy's Leathers. They're pliable enough that they don't feel stiff and uncomfortable. But, they're wide (to distribute the weight of the bass) and have a rough backing (to keep them from sliding around). The bass stays put.

I favor the MSS3 model. I've got them in many different colors to match the finish of each bass. Each one also has a set of Schaller strap-locks installed.

[​IMG]

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I've been using the Levy's 4" wide garment leather strap for a few years,and won't use anything else.Reasonably priced too.

9. bassdriver

bassdriver

Jun 8, 2005
    FL
    Suede. It helps with older instruments that have neck dive too

I also use the 4-inch Italia Straps for my P-basses...no shirt bunching but you can move it if you need to.

10. I've found suede doesn't help me much with instruments that neck dive,it just grabs my shirt and pulls it down with it. Leather for me.

AdamK likes this.
  11. Had the same problem with suede... though it's still my favorite strap. For any bass that neck dives, it pulls my shirt down. Played a show like that once and it drove me nuts - plus probably looked really silly. BUT - it's still my favorite strap. Now I just need to get some suede shirts that grab my skin as well as the strap grabs the shirt! hahaha ;)

SVTbird and AdamK like this.
  12. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Interesting. Yeah, when I heard someone comment that the suede helped with neckdivers I thought that had sealed the deal. But, I also thought about this happening, and then I saw your comment that confirmed it. Leather it is!

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Yep. The extra width will generally give you enough friction to resist even a moderate neck diver, but the smooth leather back of the strap doesn't glue itself to your shirt. I have a suede-backed strap that I covered the back with gaff tape. For me, it was a definite improvement.

14. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Yeah, I definitely want extra wide. I actually have my eye set on that sheepskin strap Phil Lesh used once. I'm currently looking at posts to find out someone who sells it. I know there's a cheap $19.99 one that looks similar. But, we'll see.

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    @AdamK: I have a sheepskin-backed Levy's strap. Comfy. Very comfy.

16. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    It is an older, discontinued one. The top is brown, distressed and cracked leather, and it is separated into three segments by big silver rings. A very cool strap, but I haven't even seen a picture of another one for some time.

18. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Wow. That's a real shame. I'm gonna look around to see if I can find it. If not, I'll go with that black leather one that has the fleece. The black would match my gold Epiphone Jack Casady very well.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm going to order the LM Products one from Musician's Friend.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  19. The answer to the question is yes: I use straps backed with suede leather.

Don't like vinyl. Not fond of fabric, and nylon straps are terrible. Make it suede, and leather only. The two are not mutually exclusive, they are perfect in combination.

20. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Suede leather backing for my preference. It holds the bass in place better on my shoulder.