1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suffered From Dehydration

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vanceman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I had a very weird experience saturday night. It was a very dry windy day on saturday, and I spend almost all of it outside doing yardwork, recycling, etc. Appearently, I did not drink enough water during the day, and failed to recognize the symptoms.

During setup of the equip, I couldn't go more that a minute without stopping for a sip of water. I didn't bring a lot, so I was conserving it for later. We started at 9pm, I had my first beer, and it last me the whole set. I can't remember ever sweating this much. After the second set, still sweating, I'm realizing something's wrong, I feel kind of strange.

Third set, and I'm confused. I can't remember intros, effect settings for the PA, and totally blew Brick House. On break, I was asked if I was drunk. When asked what I played for Brick House, I could only answer "I don't know". The forth set was a blur, and I still didn't have a clue what was wrong. In fact, I hardly remember the last half of the night. On the drive home, I drank a quart of water, but it still took all day sunday to recover and figure out what happened.

Oh well, lesson learned. I did send an email to my bandmates apologizing for my performance. I hope none of the patrons noticed my bad playing.

2. dehydration is nasty... i used to suffer from it ALOT because all I drank was soda every day... I put a stop to that though and realized how dehydrated and horrid feeling I had been!

3. last memorial day my band played a memorial day party at a beach club on the jersey shore...we set up in an empty parking lot where the party was held...Im a big guy so I knew to bring water and gatorade...even with that in full sun on asphalt about half way through the set my right hand cramps so my index finger and middle finger kinda curl up...I painfully make it through the song and stretch it back out...down a bottle of gatorade and keep going...2 songs later I start getting light headed and end up sitting on my amp for a while so I dont pass out...had to play last 2 songs of the set with a pick to keep my fingers from cramping...stupid mistake on my part not being completely hydrated for it...ended up feeling like **** and out of it till about 8pm that night

we are playing that show again this year...im drinking about a gallon of gatorade before the show this time

4. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Luckily you were still sweating. You know it's really bad when you STOP sweating.

8 years in the Air Force meant I saw dehydration A LOT.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Beer will only serve to dehydrate you further!

I only began to realise the effects of dehydration when going on holiday to hot countries like Greece and Spain - a few times I almost collapsed and then I realised why most people carried bottled water around with them!

After that - I noticed in Jazz classes, where I needed to concentrate pretty hard that I was much better when I had not drunk any alcohol or coffee before and had drunk a lot of water!