Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH" CAT HUNTING!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 14, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I caught this on Drudge today it appears Wisconsin is about to legalize Cat Hunting. I have no set opinion on this subject, But was wondering if anyone from Maddison way had some good recipes for Tabby! :crying:
    People from California please keep in mind that your not allowed to hunt mountain lions, even though there preying on your children (animal rights run amuck) so don't get to condesending on the cheeseheads :D I tried to link to it but the link was gone from Drudge, Sorry.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Seriously? Is it under the guise of the old "they're spreading disease and there's so many of them that they're starving, so we're actually halping them" excuse?

3. Before people get too upset...this was aimed (pardon the pun!!) at feral cats...These are cats that have gotten/been turned loose and are breeding and multiplying in the wild. Not only are they carriers of rabies and other diseases, they are destroying the state's wild songbird population. Domestic cats with collars and tags are not targeted (oops, another poor pun!!) for control.

Australia, I believe, has a similar problem. A couple of other states here in the US has already passed laws allowing control of feral cats.

4. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    when was the last time a mountain lion ate a child?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When was the last time a human died from rabies? I thought I remembered reading that it's been several decades.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    a mountain lion and a feral cat is way different.

feral cats are just house cats, whom are usually in bred, and have diseases. when you bring a species from one area, and put it into another, it usually ****s things all up. ie. for instance. if there is a looss of song birds, that means there is a higher count of worms. the reason why birds eat worms is because thats what they are supposed to do.

i think they could go about it differently. like not letting any redneck with a gun a license to shoot cats. i think if they have to do it, have people who actually care about it. although, this goes on in a few other midwest states, i think iowa was one of the ones my boss told me about.

also, if you get a pet, get it fixed. if you decide one day that its too much to own a cat and wanna leave it at a farm thinking that would be better for the cat. just bring it to a no kill shelter. we as superior species, need to realize that this is in our hands/

one more thing. if they are going to shoot cats because they are ruining their surroundings, spreading disease, humping like woah, i think there is another species we need to start to destroy. our own.

7. I assume he meant "attacking". In that case...bigcats.org
    reports a fatal attack on a child in 1997 by a mountain lion. Here's a quote:

"There have been fewer than a dozen fatal attacks in North America in the last 100 years. Mountain lions typically avoided confrontation with humans, officials said. But when they do target people, they often pick children. Of 50 non-fatal attacks by mountain lions on humans in the country over the last 100 years, 35 were on children younger than nine, said Paul Beier, an expert on cats at the University of California at Berkeley."

Another website listed all of the known fatal attacks in the last century. I'm not trying to make any point other than answering your question.

Mike

8. Now there's an idea I can get behind. The converse is also true. Let's not control the population of anything and see how things turn out. I'm quite serious. I'd like to see who'd "eat crow" on the final result. I make no predictions. Let's just let it all happen.

Mike

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I've heard about this too. There are a ton of cats that are causeing a problem. They are only allowed to shoot them if they don't have a collar on and something else. Last I heard they weren't even close to passing it yet. It still had to have a lot of things done with it.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have no clue how a hunter could really see a collar on a little cat from a hundred yards...

If it's really that big of a problem, they should have people from the national wildlife group handle it, or else a lot of little girls' Mr. Whiskers won't be coming home at night.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those cartoons were the best, are they still on TV?.

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Feral cats can easily be caught with a $20 live trap and handed over to Animal Control for proper disposition. Just what we need, a bunch of drunken Wisconsin morons out hunting cats with rifles and handguns because they have nothing better to do. It would be just a matter of time before they shoot someone else, or themselves. An errant round can travel over a mile, often with tragic results.

Slug
    Glock 20
    Colt .38

13. I don't think any other states have legalized cat hunting. If there were, why would this be news?

I completely understand the "control the population" thing, but I have yet to see a cat infestation of anywhere but creepy people's homes. (Sort of like Mitch Hedburg's Koala infestation). I'd figure areas around here would be the hardest hit- seeing as these are decended from pets, and this is the most populous part of the state. Forum member JoeP lives in the sticks- he'd have a good idea of the wild cat infestation of southeastern Wisconsin... ;)

Now, figure out why all those geese aren't migrating like they're supposed to and leaving goose turds everywhere, and why the cats aren't attacking them.

14. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I read that it was legal in two other states, you have to remember that politically some parts of Wisconsin are quite leftest (is it true there s still an iron curtain and a chairman mao memorial in Maddison? :D ) And there has quite a bit more ruckess then you would have in a totally rural enviorment. My understanding is that the governor was going to veto but the legislator may overide. You would have to have a small game liscense, I'm sure a huters saftey course is probobly required. As far as Drunk hunters, there no worse then drunk soccer fans with flares???? I still don't get that one, "Mom, I'm going to the soccer match today, what do you have in the backpack son? Oh, nothing just a bunch of Flares! I might get lost in the stands and need to signal for rescue" :scowl:

15. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    These are feral animals they just happen to be cats. As I recall not long ago someone was posting about hunting feral pigs.. same thing different critter. They do some serious damage to populations of songbirds and such. Trapping and disposal costs a lot of $$ as there is a lot more to it than just the $20 trap. Not to mention that it is probably more cruel and heartless to do it this way. Than dispatching them quickly before they even know it. These are wild animals at this point... not Mr whiskers, they would prefer to tear the hell out of you than let anyone go near em.
    The people who are taking huge offense to this are definitely blowing it out of proportion or are lazy pet owners. If they really did care they would keep them inside. A statistic I read a while back stated something like: a "outdoor cat" usually has a lifespan of about 3 years or so, and an "indoor" cat generally over 12 years. They seriously can't care about a pet they just let loose to fend for itself. In some areas of the country this is a serious problem that needs attention.

just my .02.........

16. i live in central wisconsin and right now i am in northern wisconsin, and i am yet to have seen a wild cat...

17. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm no animal activist or anything-I just dislike when people hunt under the guise of environmental protection. If someone was really that worried about the songbird population or the environment, they wouldn't own a gun, as the gun manufacturing plants and ore drilling sites do far worse damage to the homes of songbirds, they wouldn't take photos of their kills as they would regret having to kill something rather than celebrate it, they wouldn't eat at fast food places because the farmers they buy meat from destroy so much rain forest in order to have room for cattle, etc.

If you're going to kill something to just kill it-not in self-defense or for food, than at least admit to what you're doing. That's why I think serious animal population problems should be handled by professionals, rather than allowing anyone with a hunting license to go at it, as you really won't be able to control their actions.[/QUOTE]

Brian, I appreciate your position, and being a modest hunter myself I have a feeling Hunters hunt for four primary reasons #1 They enjoy just getting into the outdoors, it's kinda cool when the only sounds you hear are that big Whitetail trying to sneak past you. #2 The companionship, they have friends who hunt and enjoy there company #3 They like meat, I can save a ton of money putting Venison in the freezer and it's good stuff! I'm still waiting for Brad Cooks Pig Roast! #4 They like the challenge, and if you have never hunted you can not appreciate how challenging it is to take a trophy Big game animal with a bow or gun. I doubt many of them say " were doing this for the enviorment" but it is necessary to control game populations. Why, there are more big game animals in the US today then there were at the turn of the century, but not as much habitat, (more destroyed by suburbs then gun factories) and not as many predators ( we like looking at Bambi in the back yard but get a little Squeemish when a big Grizzly saunters into the picknic area) In fact I believe it is an absurd contridiction to say I'm Pro Enviorment and Anti-hunting (and you didn't say that). As far as the Cat hunting I think this will probobly fall under the catagory of pest control, I doubt Brad or any of his buddys are going to take vacation time to go to WI. for the big "Cat Hunt". It will most likely be Farmers/landowners dealing with pest. I still haven't heard any good recipes :D

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

How about cat-tat-tooey? ;)

Thanks for respecting my opinion-we may see things a little differently, but as long as everyone is mutally respectful then everyone can learn a little from someone with differing opinions.

I didn't hunt with it, but I used to love target practice with my bow. I haven't strung it up in about three years, but it was certainly fun.

19. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    slightly off topic its perfecly legal to buy a dog or cat, take it home and kill it and eat it. not that i would do that and i doubt many other people would either. but you can if you want, at least you can in Texas.

20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

>>> Feral cats are pests like any other. Believe me, it's much easier to trap them than to dispose of them with firearms. They're smart, quick, and primarily nocturnal; hunting them at night with a .22 rifle would be asking for trouble. A round from a .22 would turn a 7lb cat inside-out, and the round would soar off into the distance and land who knows where. It's just asking for a tragedy. Feral hogs, on the other hand are solitary animals that are usually encountered in vast, rural expanses and generally hunted by experienced sportsmen with the aid of tracking dogs. For the small stuff in suburban or semi-rural areas, it's traps all the way, be it Raccoon, Possum, Gophers, or feral cats. Set 'em up at sundown, and check 'em in the morning. No mess, no fuss, no risk, no complaints, no wasted powder. Easy.

Slug