Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sugar Transcription?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Baseman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Hi Guys,

First, I've been a fan of Mr. Manring since Toward the Center of Night. I greatly appreciate your musicianship.

I'd just like to know if you have (or if anyone else has) done a transcription of Sugar, the version performed on the Bass Day '98 video?

BTW - My Zon VB4 with a Cali Walnut top is in next month!

Thanks.

2. Skeld

Skeld

Feb 27, 2004
    Amiens, France
    I don't know if you've already seen
    this :meh:

3. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Thanks... I did a search before I posted and that thread didn't come up for some reason... or else I'm blind, which wouldn't be out of the question.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Michael's version of Sugar is really amazing. Although I have played the song for years, I never saw it as a solo vehicle until I heard Michael's version. It inspired me to do a totally different arrangment, of the same tune, for my new book that will be published by Mel Bay.

Mike Dimin

5. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. When is your book coming out?

Regards,
    -B

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Soon, I hope. The person I need to speak to at Mel Bay is out this week. I should know more next week.

7. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Cool! I look forward to hearing your version, Mike.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    You should transcribe that Beatles thing you did the other night. It was wonderful. Great to be able to see you get to shine a bit as well as be a rock solid, bass playing dude for John Gorka.

For those who have not seen Mike with John Gorka. It is a great show. We all know Mike's amazing talent. John is an engaging performer and a great songwriter. My wife and I saw Mike with John n a small intimate theatre, The Guthrie Center in Gt. Barrington, MA. What a wonderful show. My wife must have commented half a dozen times how Mike so easily combined technical brilliance with a true sense of musicality and musicianship.

If you ever get a chance, see this show
    Mike

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    That must have been a great show. I would have been there had I not been in North Conway with the wife. It looks like Mike's only show around here too. It would be great if he'd come to Rhode Island next time. The Providence has a few great venues.

10. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you so much for the kind words, Mike. That Beatles medley is mostly improv, but I suppose if I ever get a decent recording of it, maybe I’ll have a go at transcribing it. It’d be a big job, though! It seems to keep expanding…

I agree that the Guthrie Center is a wonderful venue. Those of you in the area are very lucky to have such a beautiful, great sounding room to see shows. Fantastic piano, too. I can think of lots of folks I’d like to see there.

It looks like we’ll try to set up more shows with Gorka in the near future. I’ll post the info on the calendar at www.manthing.com as soon as I get it.