Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sugarhill Gang's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cheesy, but kinda cool. :)

Most of their stuff sounds like they are just rapping over disco songs, but I hear they have a band instead of a DJ. On that note, pretty good bassist.

Out of curiousity, are all their songs "sampled".

P.S. All of their songs go on FOREVER :p , but it's impressive because their rhymes aren't repetitive. I mean, it's all like "Everybody Party, raise yo' hands, and shake your whatever." But still. I mean, in Rapper's Delight, one of them raps about going to a friends house and having his mom cook ****ty food for you and trying to get out of eating it.

Now that's :cool: ... maybe :confused: :D

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That would be Doug Wimbush on bass! Yes, THE Doug Wimbush!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hmmmmmmmmmmm... DWBass..... D. W.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ;)

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah right! I wish that was me!! My DW stands for David Walmsley.

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I heart this thread. :D

Rapper's Delight is just a sample of 'Goodtimes' by Chic. I still like the Sugarhill Gang version better though. I might pick up the cd... I've bought around 50 this summer, one more can't kill me...

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sorry, it was not sampled but played by a live bassist! Yes it was the same bassline but it was played live by Doug Wimbush!

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hmm, that would explain the lack of the cheesy guitar and piano parts in the Sugarhill Gang version... :D

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm, that cheesy guitar, piano and famous bassline made Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards rich, huh! The formula for hit making = K.I.S.S.!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, does anyone know if all of their songs were samples or if they did some original music (I don't know disco tunes that well). I know their was a band... but did they "sample".

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If I'm not mistaken, everything put out by Sugar Hill Records during that period had a live band playing the music. They had an in house band. There were a few tunes that utilized a DJ mixing parts of LP's.

Excerpt from this webpage:

"Sugar Hill Records made its mark with a house band of funk-technicians: Skip McDonald, Doug Wimbish and Keith LeBlanc. In the `70s and `80s, the label cranked out exalted hip-hop like Funky Four + 1's "That's The Joint," West Street Mob's "Let's Dance," and label-owner Sylvia Robinson's Mel Brooks take-off, "It's Good To be The Queen." But other than Funky Four and Sequence, Sugar Hill Records was made up of "put together, made up acts not of the street."

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's something of interest to those that are interested.

Wood, Brass & Steel

The Sugar Hill house band evolved into this band. I have this LP and it's a good one and funky as hell! Bought it back in the day! They don't mention Doug Wimbush's name but he was in the band.

12. I don't think it was Doug Wimbish though- it was a band called Positive force that recorded the backing track for Rapper's delight.

re. Rapper's Delight vs. Good times- check out this bootleg of Electric6's "gay bar", which uses RD to start with then fades into Good times- the differences in the two tracks are quite well displayed (it's also very funny:D )

http://muse.cream.org/mp3/mattswork/jirob-gaytimes.mp3

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well I guess we can liken this to the Carol Kaye vs. James Jamerson 'who played bass on what' debate because I'm now finding info that points to both parties! I'm just thinking why, if you have a house band at your record label, hire an outside band to play on one's record?! Gonna have to do some detective work now!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Positive force included DW and Keith LaBlanc. BTW, if you want the ultimate bassline by Sugarhill, try "Hot, Hot Summer Days". Amazing slap line. Doug and I talked about how he came up with it. BTW, he played those lines on a '75 Jazz.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Whew!! Thank you! Now to dispell the reports that Keith Sweat and 'Sabu' Crier are one and the same. I know some folks that have worked with Keith Sweat and none have ever seen him play a bass(of course that doesn't mean anything?!)