1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sugest me a phone.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Oct 12, 2010.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    So here I go again another phone with the course of 6 months(It's a curse). I don't really have a budget but somewhere around 350 is a rough estimate. My carrier is AT&T.
    Things I do:
    Call - About 4 or 5 hours a week, good speaker phone is important
    Text- A LOT, somewhere around 100 a day maybe more. Keyboard is a must, average sized male thumbs.
    Take pictures - Often, decent quality but nothing fancy
    Use the Internet- more and more lately mainly for the GPS feature.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Does AT&T have anything besides the iPhone? :D

-Mike

3. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    i can't remember is android's gotten to AT&T yet.

just buy a smartphone.

4. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    +1 for iPhone. Love mine.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    I suggest you try the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone for about an hour's worth of typing first. If you absolutely despise it after that solid test, you'd be best to steer clear of onscreen keyboards altogether.

Otherwise, the iPhone is a good tool in spire of the hype. Google Maps comes in quite handy, though there are better speakerphones available. If that's the deciding criteria, I'd suggest investing in a lot of reading. I found a couple of websites that review cell phones to the point of nitpicking on the build quality of the Power button. With that amount of detail, you're better served to make the best decision for your own self.

Good luck.

6. Cosmo420

Cosmo420

Sep 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    I wanted an actual keyboard, so when I got my new phone I got a Motorola Droid. I've had it almost a year, and I think I've only used the keyboard maybe 5 times. It's much easier and quicker to use the on-screen keyboard.

Being that you are on AT&T there is really only one choice - iPhone.

7. iPhone.

lowsound

8. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    You could go with a Blackberry Torch. It's a touch screen and has a slide out keyboard as well. I love the keyboard on them. You need to get a data plan with blackberry's these days, cheapest one AT&T has is $15 a month. If you buy the phone through an AT&T carrier it's about $200, but if you go online to amazon.com, they have it for $89.99 with a contract:

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Torch-9800-Phone-AT/dp/B003Y8XBRY

I plan on scooping up one of these guys when my current contract ends in December.

[​IMG]

9. The thing with the torch is that the touch screen sucks.

lowsound

10. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    I have a Nokia N97 and it does all that and more. The keyboard is nicely laid out. Had it for about 6 months, so far no problems. touch screen works nice. photos are top notch too

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I've been liking my Samsung Impression a lot so far. Full keyboard, nice speaker phone, 3.0 megapixel camera, and internet capabilities. Then again, I only just upgraded from the old school Nokia Brick so anything would seem pretty amazing in comparison :p

12. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Everything else sucks when you're an iphone fanboy ;)

13. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I don't know that I'd quite consider myself to be a "fanboy", but this, IMO/IME, is true. The entire design of the iPhone, hardware and software, is implemented very well. It's a very comfortable phone to use, and other phones that I've tried have just felt clunky in comparison. Sure, the iPhone has its flaws (flash sure would be nice...), but IMO/IME it's still worthwhile.

14. I was the biggest Apple hater forever. A few months ago I switched to AT&T from Sprint because I had no Sprint service where I moved to. I was also pretty ticked at my BlackBerry so I said screw it, and got an iPhone. I figured if I hated it, I'd sell it and make a great profit (got the new customer deal on the phone), then just buy another BB outright.

Well, the iPhone is a GREAT phone, and does everything the BlackBerry did, it just does it better. It also does quite a bit the BB *didn't* do as well.

I'm still not an Apple fan (and will NEVER be an Apple fanboi), and loathe all their proprietary crap, but I have to admit they knocked it outta the park with the iPhone.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm a current BB user with Verizon. The coverage has been really good and the phone has been okay, but not spectacular. I would rather have an iPhone, but AT&T's coverage is surprisingly mediocre in my part of the Los Angeles metro area (and other ares where my company frequently does business). I am patiently awaiting iPhone availability through Verizon.

That said, my sister's Droid (Verizon) is pretty damn slick.

16. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Ended up going with the HTC Aria. Good phone, on screen keyboard is very responsive and easy to use. The iPhone was a runner up but it was more money, but other wise a very good phone, definitively getting one next time around.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Right on. You'll dig the Android OS. I sure do.

-Mike

18. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I hear a lot of good things about Android, but mostly that it's "not iOS". I find it's always being compared (easy to see why) but my iPod Touch is great for me, so I'd recommend the iPhone (based simply on having used the OS and knowing that the hardware on the iPhone is much better than the Touch).

19. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    +1

20. android is the ****. You will soon be addicted to that thing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021