Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sugestion P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tulkas, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Hi Folks. I recently bought a bargain, a squier p-bass (affinity series), well the bass is something i didn't was expecting, it sounds nice unplugged.

But plugged in to my amp it doesn't sound really good.

I'm thinking, should i buy a decent pu' to put in there?

Can you give me some sugestions...

Thanks, best regards. :bassist:

2. My ideia for the pickup changing are :

.Seymour Duncan Vintage
    .Dimarzio DP122
    .Fender Vintage

What do you think about this ones?

I'm looking for a nice full and vintage sound.

:)

3. I have a Fender "Original '62" in my P-Bass clone and I love it. It has a great, fat vintage sound.

4. Yes, that's the one. As a rule, you'll fine that "vintage" pickups are often not really high output pickups. As far as them being "muddy," I haven't had a problem with that. I eq my amp so that the sound I want is the sound I get.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Bill Lawrence P46 is a very nice pickup for very low dough. My personal fav is the Aero Type 1. I run the PJ set in my Reverend and it has a wonderfully warm vintage thing happening.

The Lawrence is dead quiet though.Lawrence P46 clip

Recorded direct into the guitar input of Tascam 788 recorder. No compression, no eq. 250k vol and tone pot, .1 mfb cap. Tone and Vol are all the way open. The host bass has a Bad@ss II bridge and new D'Addario half rounds that are pretty twangy. They'll be a bit nicer when they settle in.

I'm pulling the P46 out this week to install a Dark Star so this was made as a reference clip.

6. Thanks 4mal, i will listen to it, soon as i get home...

More opnions are welcome.

Take care.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    True, and that's why I really like my Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot for P-bass. It has a warm vintage vibe, but high output that's good for punk, hard rock, etc. The treble is pulled back compared with a vintage pickup, but heck, it's a P-bass, so I'm turning the treble down anyway.

Ideally I'd also have a true vintage spec P-bass and one with the ultra hot Quarter Pounder (one can't have too many P-basses), but for an all-arounder the SPB-2 is great.

8. Hi Nedmundo thanks for your point of view. What do you think about this one over here :

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw10_seymour_duncan_sspb1_vintage_pbass_pickup_prodinfo.html

It's the SSPB1 and the price it's on range.

At seymour duncan website, they say that the SPB1 it's more vintage, more "warm n' woddy".

4Mal, it sounded realy nice. :hyper:

:bassist:

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Suggestions are good ones. Don't overlook the Fralin.

I've got a cheap MIM Precision with a low end EMG. Got to admit - it does sound really good.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think the SPB-1 would be an excellent, economical choice for vintage P-bass tone. It's like my SPB-2, but with less windings for a brighter overall tone. Sure, the Lindy Fralin might be better if you're hard-core about P-bass tone, but it's also much more expensive. You shouldn't overlook the Fender Original P-bass pickup, which I think they use in their American Vintage series. If it's tough to find, you may as well get the Duncan. You won't go wrong.

11. Hummm, it's an upgrade, a little bit uncertain, because i don't know too much about the pu's... (newbie around here).

I think, i will go to the SPB2, because i play kind of hard rock/blues and i don't wanna spend too much money on that bass.

With the new pu' , good strings and a nice setup, it will be a decent bass, i think... :)

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I put this in my Squier p many years ago and still love the tone.

Click here.

:D

Joe.

13. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i have the Quarter Pounder SPB-3 in the bass i finished building. a Fretless 4stringer.

that thing is HUGE sounding! might not be the best of quality (probably coz its a fretless as well) but its definitely PHAT!

14. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I think you will be happy with the SPB2. I have been dealing Duncan's for a few years now and while the SPB3 sells more it's not really a vintage tone. The SBP2 still retains a vintage vibe but with more output and bottom end.

Bottom line is there are a pile of good P-Bass pickups out there and you can't really go wrong. You just need to find the one that has the tone you are looking for.