Suggest a Bass for Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 'JC', Dec 6, 2004.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I've been playing the same Ibanez for years - an SR1200, which for the most part has served well, but I feel I've "outgrown" it in a sense.

I thought about an Ibanez SR506 primarily because the used one I played at a GuitarCenter obviously had a pro setup done on it, and I can't recall the last time I felt so creative and played that much on another bass. It's also very lightweight! I was playing that thing for at least 2 hours and was the last person there before the store closed. (Going from an SR1200 to a SR505/6 is probably a step backwards for some of you I'm assuming)

I played an SR505 at another GC and was digging it until I picked up a used Washburn 6 that had a much better tone (very warm, and tight, slightly lacking in highs though - mellow but not bright) for funk/fusion/jazz, which I do play, but not as much/primarily over Prog rock.

While at a relative's house I played about 10 of his basses.
    The Warwicks stood out. The action and feel of the 4's is incredible. (The 5's aren't really any much more of a burden.) The tone is so bright and punchy! I found these much more exciting and enjoyable to play over a new Spector and a Pedulla Rapture J5. Keep in mind I don't think I can afford gear in this range right now, but it may be an option in the near future.

Anyway once I got home and picked up my SR1200, it was disheartening after playing those Warwicks.

Anyway I'm wondering what some of you would recommend I should look at.

My criteria:
    I like Ibanez basses because of the necks.
    I don't feel comfortable slapping on a 6, but do on a 5.
    I've only started seriously getting into slap recently.
    I like the 6 because it's a nice option to have if I ever need it.
    I like the 5 because it's right in "between"
    I have to have a low B
    I want something versatile enough that can go from playing Dream Theater & Incubus to Weather Report & Tower of Power .
    Contrary to the last statement, I like the tone, but am not a Fender person.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I'd look at Spector...
  3. Check out the MusicMan Stingray 5 strings, I think you will like it...
  4. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Chech out Ibanez SR3005 and 3006.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Depending on your budget, and noticing your in FT Worth, you can come check out my Dingwall sometime if its something you have an interest in. Not going to find one in a store to check out around here anyhow hehe.
  6. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    whats your range to spend?If you can swing it get a used Ibanez btb 1000e. You will get some really great construction and quality compared over most ibanezs. The srx basses look nice but im not to big into ibanez.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yamaha TRB six string.. 6 string versatility plus the wider string spacing facilitates easier slapping than on other 6ers.
  8. i'm saying warwick, but i'm partial to the tones
  9. Stingray 5 (or maybe Bongo 5), or Spector would be my choices
  10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Lakland 55-02

if not:

G&L L-2500
    MM Bongo 5
  11. I too would say Stingray5 or Bongo 5
  12. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    about 10 years ago I traded up from a SR12something, I can't remember which one but it was pretty quilted maple, etc. It was a really pretty bass and played nice, but at the time I was living in WV and it wasn't easy to hear a lot of basses.

anyway I traded that bass for a Warwick Corvette Proline 4, the kind with the ash body and wenge neck, and the difference was like night and day. I remember the guy at Guitars Plus in WV teasing me about a man of my stature deserving a finer grade of instrument than a SoundJunk, and in the following days, I really did notice the quality of the workmanship on even the lowly vette compared to what was at the time the premium soundgear. The warwick was funny looking but man the sound.

I'm not sure if the new ones are made as well as mine was, but I think if you like the sound, its a step up in quality. If you can deal with the shape of a warwick, it'd be worth trying a Bongo too. Those things sound absolutely unbelievable, despite looking like some kind of shop class accident.
  13. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Like this one?
    If so, that's my current bass.

Anyway played quite a few yesterday:

Yamaha TRB5 - Very solid and tight, but I couldn't get any decent high end sound out of it. Maybe it was the strings. String tension was also a little too tight for my taste.

Musicman Stingray 5 - I did indeed like this and found the versatility of one pickup with a toggle switch to be pretty cool, but I've become accustomed to mounting my thumb on a pickup so my right hand was "lost" at times. I need some more time with this one.

Musicman Bongo 5 - I honestly didn't see these to be any better than the Stingray as far as total playability. The pickups are nice, but I played it less than 2 minutes on account of that finish on the neck which just felt weird. I'll give it another try next go around.

Ibanez SR505 - Played it again, and it feels "cheaper" more and more all the time. The tone is still good imo for the price. Also can't help but notice on this particular one that's been on the rack for about a month now, how slippery those strings are. Kinda like a brand new, 10 minute old set of Elixers.

Ibanez BTB 6 String - I like it but my left hand doesn't. Wider neck and spacing than the Soundgears.

Schecter Diamond Series 5 - My reason for picking this up is someone told me Schecter is very under rated when it comes to instruments. I picked this one up right after the Yamaha, and was impressed. The neck has a similar finish on the back similar to the Bongo's which the only flaw imo, but somehow I felt more comfortable on it. I need some more time with this bass too.

Warr Guitar 6 - don't know how many of you are familiar with the Warr name, but I was very surprised to see that they make an actual non tapping instrument, let alone something with less than 12 strings. This was obviously a used piece, but just not for me. Incredibly heavy, and very wide neck.

Warwick - I don't know if this is correct or not, but they had some model (corvette?) Bolt ons there. I liked most of them but noticed the neck didn't feel as nice as the one's I played at a relative's place. Not saying it was bad. Far from it, just not as good. One of them also didn't have that growl and punchy sound other Warwicks do. I'll check out the ones my uncle has again for some more "research" on Warwicks. I really like the Warwick sound.

Spector Euro 5 - Saved the best for last. This is what floored me and what I was thinking about the rest of the day. I credit that to the dual EMGs with individual volume control's. Wow. Total plethora of clear crisp and warm sounds coming from this baby. And the playability was good too. Byfar the highest priced bass I played, so the reality of getting this model is slim. I think I may have to check out what some of these go for used.
  14. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000

Thank you so much for the generous offer.
    I looked at the Dingwall site and don't know exactly when I'd be ready to spend that much. Obviously I want a new bass now, but I'm prepared to wait if I have to.

How long did it take you to get used to those fanned frets?
    How'd you get into Dingwall anyway?
  15. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Fanned Frets take no time to get used too really, about 15 minutes litterally.

As for price, I got mine for $1500 with a hard case from a guy in El Paso that deals them. I actually got interested in them from seeing Charlie Hunter at ACL a couple years ago. I went to Novax's site and read up on the fanned fret concept, and found a link to Dingwall's from there. I started reading reviews and couldnt find anything wrong with them from anything I read. After much research, but without having heard or seen one in person, I took a chance and havent been dissapointed in the least. I talk with Sheldon here on the boards on occasion, and he's always been really cool to work with. Its nice to be able to talk to your builder and get good responses quickly, even though I didnt buy it directly from him. Top knotch Customer Service :)
  16. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Now you've got me interested more so.
    I'd like to take you up on that offer though if you don't mind. :)
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    By all means. Im home in the evenings from about 5:30 till I crash out about 11pm, or I have weekends off usually, so we could arrange that too. Just PM me with a time that would be good for you and we can work something out Im sure :)