Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggest a bass please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dags, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I'm pretty much just past the "beginner" stage, having played somewhere between 4 and 5 months now. I just learn songs that I like and I've been taking lessons this whole time as well. I play music from various genres, including classic rock, modern "indie" rock, Jaco :) , etc.

I'm playing on a Squier Jazz bass and for obvious reasons I'd like to upgrade. I'm not particularly wealthy so I'm looking to spend no more than $400. I haven't looked around too much but the ESP C304 looks like an awesome bass for the money ($340). It't neck-through body, 24 frets, 3 band EQ, EMG pickups, and it looks pretty nice too.

Are there any basses that can compete with this within my price range? Or, are there any informed opinions on the ESP C304 from anyone? I'd prefer some EQ options on the bass but I'm open to anything. 24 frets is a plus as well.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For less than 400 bones, I'd reccomend:

Cort Curbow
    Ibanez ATK (Used)
    Ibanez SR400 (or however much you can get for $400)
    Spector Q4 (Used)
    Yamaha BB404
    MTD Kingston (Used. Or save up a bit more for new at like $450)
    Schecter Stilletto Deluxe 4
    Warwick Rockbass (Streamer, and I think Corvette is less than $400 as well)
    Peavey Grind
    Fender Standard series

Almost any of these'd do you good. Personally, I'd say the used Ibanez ATK, the Cort Curbow, or the Yamaha BB404.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id also recomend a godin sd or godin freeway.

4. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    thanks for these suggestions, I'm checking them all out right now. I like the Schechter a lot right now. Feel free to recommend basses that I can get used within that price range as well.

5. you can get a used spector ns2000/4 NECK THRU dont get a q4 bolt on, they dont compare... i think i ended up selling mine for 450 but they can be had cheaper on ebay if you keep your eyes open... dont get an mtd kingston, unless you add a preamp they suck, they have the lowest output of any bass ive ever owned (30+)... used peavey g-bass, washburn xb900 (i remember seeing great reviews on this and you can get them NOS on ebay for around 300)

6. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Can anyone give me reasons to not get the ESP C304? Some of these recommended basses I like but what puts them over the ESP?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not a bad bass, but there are better basses to be had than the ESP. Cosmetically, it might be nice, but overall build quality can be exceeded by quite a few others. You'll want quiality over purdy looks if it's going to take you anywhere.

The Spector NS2000/4 is a steal, used. If you could nail one of those or an Ibanez ATK300, you'd be in gold for a long time. Really, there's nothing those two basses couldn't do, and are built like tanks (in a good way).
    Those would be my top two, used. New, I'll say the Yamaha BB404 again, followed by the Cort Curbow.

Egotistical: Funny, I owned an MTD Kingston concurrent with an active bass (G&L L2000, which has never been accused of low output) and I thought it was quite loud, and sounded great to my ears. Spacing at the nut was killing my hand was the only reason I got rid of it. I think they are absolutely killer basses, and having played quite a few, I can't quite say they are "low output." Maybe you got a dud?

8. its possible that i got a dud but i played another at a music store and it was the same way... anyway the reason to get any of those basses over the esp is: any of the ones i mentioned will **** all over the esp... thats the advantage to buying used... the spector sold for around 600 new, the g-bass was around 700 and i forget what the washburn was, somewhere around 800+ these are all what i would consider to be very gig worthy basses... ive owned alot and played a lot but the spector and the g-bass were 2 of the best... plus with the spector you add a fishman model b outboard preamp and it will sound like the czech rebop model... plus since you are buying used these basses will hold their value... when you buy new you pretty much get less than what you pay for... thats why ill never buy another new bass again... the bass i have now (peavey millennium) was a steal (im not going to say how much i got it for) and its by far the best bass ive ever owned and not even close to the most expensive... the only bass i ever bought new was the spector ns2000 and while it was my main bass for a long time if i had to do it over again i wouldnt... had i waited around i could have saved myself a couple hundred bucks by buying used... another point for the ns2000 is: when i was shopping for that bass it took me 6 months, going to countless stores and playing maybe 500 different basses... that was the best i found for the price ($600) and its an absolute steal at $400... i had 2 of the 5 string models and 1 q4 bolt on and i was impressed with all of them except for the q4

edit: i wasnt gonna call attention to this because i wanted to buy another but i guess ill do this for you and myself since i shouldnt be buying another bass until after i move
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703276039&category=4713&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

theres a peavey millenium on ebay for $250 with no reserve... same as mine only it has the drop d tuner and a quilt top... if you can, get that bass you wont be sorry

9. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    the ibanez ATK 300 or 305 are great basses!!!

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey Dags - I'm gonna take a slightly different approach, here.

Since you are still relatively "new" to the bass, I would recommend sticking with what you have until you have had enough time to work on your technique that you can make an honest, informed opinion about what kind of bass suits you in terms of style, construction, feel and sound.

The thing is, there's no point in spending 4-500 bucks right now for something that, frankly, you don't know whether or not you'll even like as you become more accomplished. For example, do you know why you would like a neckthru? A lot of people assume that neckthru = more prestige.higher quality, etc. But the fact is, it may not be suited for you ultimately. Also, you may not like EMGs and you may prefer a different brand as you become more accomplished and in tune with your own tonal preferences.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a reason for low-end "beginner" basses. Nobody really even knows what they are looking for when just starting out, so they are best to stick with a generic, inexpensive Squier-type until their tastes become experienced and refined enough to be able to make the best choice for them.

What we suggest to you right now might be totally wrong for you. But you won't know what's "right" for you until you've had time to develop yoru own tastes.

Save that 4-500 bucks and keep saving until you've had enough experience to make the best decision for you. At that point, you'll have enough bread to get the right bass for you, thus saving you money in the long run.

Just my .02 (actual value = .01)

11. I think P. Boulder has a good point. I know I did few bad purchases in my time (mind you, they weren´t necessarily bad basses, they just weren´t for me) based more on brand and looks than playability and sound.

Of course if you really hate your Squier, then I guess it´s better to get rid of it. In your original post you said you want to upgrade for "obvious reasons". I haven´t tried newer (post 80´s) Squiers, could you elaborate a bit?

12. i disagree with p boulder, if you get a used bass at the right price you can easily get your money back on it or maybe even make a profit when the time comes to sell it... out of the 30 basses ive owned over time ive probably taken a loss on 3 or 4 of them (not a big loss) and profitted on 70% and broke even on the rest... a better bass will make you want to play more, my millennium inspires me a hell of a lot more than any other basses ive had and it makes me want to play more