1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest a head that is good for recording, too?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rp911, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rp911

rp911

Mar 7, 2005
    I am looking for a bass rig for my studio - rehearsal space. Primary importance is a head that would be good for recording with, rehearsals are secondary, although the band is loud. I have $600 or so to drop on the head.

I have a 5-string lefty Schecter Studio bass with active EMG pickups. I posted earlier about a preowned Eden Metro combo, which sounded really nice but was priced too high, but I have since found a new Eden 2X10 cab for $500 and am focusing on choosing a head now. The Eden heads seem to have really good compression built in, and some versatile EQ options. But I also like the idea of a lightweight head I can carry as a back up to my Focus 2R for guitar gigs, so I am looking at the Markbass LM II and some of the GenzBenz Shuttle heads.

Has anyone had good results going direct out of any particular head? I record into a Mac using an Apogee Duet interface into Logic. I would probably mic the cab as well.

I am something of a newbie (read, primarily a gui****), so would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. My SWR 350 has a really clean and HOT balanced line out... thats the one that uses the mic cable.

Almost any head of descent quality will give you a good line out sound.

Focus more on what sound you like the best. That 2x10 is only 8 ohms, so you getting the most sound out of a head is not going to be possible unless you add another cab or choose a different one entirely, I would suggest a 4x10 that operates at 4 ohms. This way you get the most volume (which sounds like its important to you) out of your investment.

What cab? Thats a whole nother story....:D

3. I wouldn't bother getting a head with compression just for recording - I think you're better off adding that afterwards when mixing.

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the direct out from markbass amps is VERY good. above average DI sound quality for sure, i just did a session with my SD800, it sounds phenominal. the LMII is just as good.

thats the only amp ive ever used to record..besides micing the cab of an SVT.. as far as direct out goes, its usually a bad idea to go out from an amp IMO

5. The DI in the SWR 350 redface is the best recording head I have found (and I have had a number of amps) - it's got a very nice DI. With that said, I usually just run through an Avalon U5 when recording.

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Since yo said you were recording your amp i have to ask a question.
    Are you planning on micing your amp to record or running the DI out?
    If micing, i would get something that will compliment the tone in your bodily head on your shoulders..you have $600 which does limit you.. Carvin makes a great amp B1500. which may be over kill but it fits your budget.

If you wanted to run a DI. honestly i would get a separate dedicated DI.
    Amp DIs no matter how nice add noise to the signal if you listen closely. it is almost an afterthought on most amps and they use about $.25 cent in parts. Get a DI if you are to record Direct only...

There are alot of DIs out there that are not alot of money like the Countryman 85 FET or Radial JDI.
    I use a tube REDDI DI.
    But if you were to mic your amp thats a different story... I would use a RE20.. i have found that to be a great mic.
    Dont compress you signal until you go to mix unless your level is un even going to tape or protools. I always say tape.