suggest a jointer?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Dec 9, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I bought a cheap jointer on ebay a coupla years ago, and it just plain sux now. I believe it's a Rand jointer. I changed the blades and still am having trouble getting a nice edge down a whole piece of wood. I really hate the fence on it too.
    So I'm in the market for a new jointer.
    Does anybody have any recommendations?? My budget is in the $300 range. I'd like it to have a nice, stable, durable fence, and a big powerplant. Heavy-duty, in other words. I'm thinking of steering away from the benchtop models.
    Does anyone have a Grizzly?
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    most jointers I have seen are double that price........t
  3. With $300 and knowing that TJ's observation is correct, I would seriously consider looking (hard) for an old Craftsman or other vintage jointer. My bud has one that is solid cast iron, weighs at least 200 lbs, and is probably 50 years old. You can find these and others pretty regularly if you keep up the search. The key is to have your money ready at all times because one will pop up when you least expect it. I've seen them on ebay for under $200 but then there's usually a substantial crating/shipping charge added to the bottom line.

Look in your area for used tool brokers. These are the guys that come in when a business is going under and buy up the floor tools. You'll find amazing things in their warehouses.
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    There is a used-tool guy I've seen in town. I'll go talk to him.
    I've also been checkin' out, which is a classified ads on the computer kind of thing. We'll see what pops up. Still curious what are your opinions on that grizzly, though, whether good or bad........
  5. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    If you want opinions on tools, you should go to a woodworking forum. :) There's looks to be quite a few threads on Grizzly tools, do a search.

I personally have the Delta 6" bench top, that I paid about $350CDN for. I like the variable speed, and the bed length suits me fine, I also didn't really have anymore room, too.