1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggest A Mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I'm in the market for a small, general purpose mixer (home recording and live use) My budget is $400 or less. I'm discounting Behringer as the quality is not up to snuff. Anyone dare to suggest some options for me. Onboard effects would be nice but they're not a deal breaker.

2. MrDOS

MrDOS Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You should be able to do OK if you are willing to go used. My last 3 mixers were used off of reputable EBay sellers. I personally like Allen-Heath, but Mackie and others are very popular.

3. Used? Sure but I think there are a number of good choices out there that I could get in a new mixer also. I have read about the Allen & Heath ZED 10FX and the Soundcraft EFX8 but I have no experience with either. And Mackie is another name that has been mentioned to me but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who may have actually used at least one of the brands/models in the sub $400 range.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I have a Yamaha, years old, but reliable and quiet. Not many features.

Many new mixers seem to have USB, this is a added bonus for quick recording.

Go take a look at the new Behringer offerings.
    They have a lot of influence from Klark Teknik, you may not discount these as much.
    And a 3 year warranty.

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Peavey :: 16FX™

I got the 24 channel version for a Children's musical theater company. It's held up well for the last 4 years. USB for computer recording, some very useful DSP onboard, decent channel EQ's, easy to use, yet versatile. The link above lists it at $840. I got the 24 channel one on clearance for about $550. I like this board.

6. I should be more clear and state that I am looking to buy new and the most I will spend is $400 before taxes. Small form factor is desirable. I want to be able to use the mixer for both live performance (acoustic trio with electric bass+vocals) and for home recording demos. So, the mic pres need to be as good as I can get in that price range.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How many inputs do you need? Any other requirements regarding the ins/outs?

8. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I bought an older Ross 12 channel off another Musician. It sounds WAY better than the Mackie we WERE using. WAY more gain. And Behringer=JUNK.