1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest a new bass guitar for me . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by db22, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    Like most of us, I'm looking for the "perfect bass" -- light, great action, killer tone. Here are my parameters: 1.5"/38mm nut width, 34" scale (though I am intrigued by the possibilities of a 32" scale), light weight, simple, passive pickup and control arrangement.
    I have and play an Ibanez Gio (neck too wide), a Fender Jazz Bass (way too heavy), and an Ibanez Mikro (scale too short). I've parsed the websites of every major maker I know of. Are there any small makers who aren't in the "boutique" category who might be worth a look? I have never had a chance to try Yamaha basses (I live in a small city with only two shops -- limited choice). My aesthetic tastes run very conservative, and as I noted, simple passive electronics are preferred. I've given some thought to assembling a bass with parts from Warmoth, but that runs pretty expensive.
    Open to suggestions -- thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Get off the web and into a music store. Even if you have to make a day or weekend trip. You'll learn more in a few hours in a big music store than you will in a few weeks on the web. The Internet is great but there are some things you need to do in person.

4. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Fender J-Bass way too heavy.... How much is the max your new bass should weight? Too bad because it has all the other characteristics you're looking for except for the weight it looks like.

5. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Fender Mustang PJ maybe?

macmanlou and db22 like this.
  6. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    Yes, I have played Mustangs and Broncos in the past, had a Squier short-scale for a while. They were all okay, but never really hit the spot.

7. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    I thought about replacing the Fender ash body with a chambered Warmoth Dinky J body, may yet do that. I have been impressed by the higher-end Ibanez guitars I have played, but you get into battery-box territory as soon as you cross over into their 1.5" width models. I like and regularly use the cheapo Ibanez Gio I have, but its baseball-bat neck is a concern. Spoiled by the Fender's great neck.

InhumanResource likes this.
  8. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    The other ones would be the Ibanez SR500 or SR600 for a different look and heavier body than the SR500.

EDIT: Doh missed the passive portion. I also prefer simple basses but do admit it really limits my options.

db22 likes this.
  9. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    Of course, you are right. I live near La Crosse, Wisconsin, home of Dave's Guitar Shop, which is guitar nirvana, but their bass selection runs to Fenders, a few Ibanez, and Ricks (an acquired taste). I oughta go down to Chicago some day, I guess.

10. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    I played a well-used SR500 at Dave's Guitar Shop this week, and I liked it a lot. I may have to give in and deal with the active thing, like it or not.

11. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    This one is intriguing -- custom order for under a grand. I am going to declare my music income next year and buy a new bass -- it's a valid business expense.

el_Bajo_Verde and jfh2112 like this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    That might work just great for you... Enjoy that combination if you can, you won't regret it I'm sure.

db22 likes this.
  13. db22

db22

Sep 25, 2017
    Since you are a Quebecois, have you tried the Godin Passion? I love the looks and the chambered body might be light. I'm a big fan of Godin-brand acoustic 6-string guitars. Merci!

14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Squier classic vibe 70p , simple passive and 8+/- lbs.

ThudThudThud and db22 like this.
  15. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    per your requirements, the easy answer is... see my signature

db22 likes this.
  16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I love my carvin PB4, but the nut width is a little wider than 1.5”. I like it, and I have small hands. It’s just a little wider than my SB-2 which is fine. Just giving you forewarning.

db22 likes this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I built myself a Warmoth 32'er. Used the lightest body and hardware I could get, along with a roasted neck. The thing is 6.25 pounds. Although it's not my absolute favorite (it feels like a toy size wise), it gets into the rotation when I'm going to be playing in a cramped stage environment - that comes up once a year or so. I also keep it around because a couple of years ago, I had back surgery - just in case my back starts acting up again and I need something uber light, I have something so I can play.

mikewalker and db22 like this.
  18. 1.54 to be exact.

PB4 4-STRING CLASSIC BOLT NECK ELECTRIC BASS

db22 likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If you're not adverse to used instruments, there's also the Fender JP-90. These are super light basses, Made in USA, passive, have a jazz style neck, they don't make them anymore but you can often find one online for around $400. Simple control scheme - volume tone and pickup switch. It's a terrific sounding bass, wish I hadn't traded mine a while back. :(
    That being said, there's also the Fender Aerodyne. Weighs around 7 lb.
    Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-Body-620x413.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    TuneIn, Picton, macmanlou and 3 others like this.
  20. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    Musicman 40th Anniversary "Old Smoothie".

lowdownthump and db22 like this.