1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggest a new P/J or P/H bass for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psychobot, Mar 22, 2013.

1. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a new 4-string bass and having trouble finding the right one. It doesn't seem like I am being too picky, but I am not really up on my bass gear and brands so I am probably overlooking a lot that is out there.

My new bass MUST have a P/J or P/H pickup configuration, and the split-P pickup MUST be in the traditional placement for authentic old school P-bass tone.

This seems to rule out Schecters which appear to have the front pickup pushed back towards the bridge, or Fender P/J jazz basses with the front pickup pushed towards the neck.

I definitely prefer PASSIVE electronics, and that seems to rule out the MIM Fender Deluxe Precision which is active. I would like to come in at less than $700. I would consider spending a little more on just the right bass, but that seems to rule out a Fender American Deluxe Precision in terms of price, although I'm starting to keep an eye on the used market for those.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    More than you want to spend but here's a '75 J with a P pickup in the neck. Blocks and binding. MIJ Fender Factory Special Run (78 of them worldwide).

3. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the front pickup on those pushed up closer to the neck than the traditional P-bass placement?

4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I think you may want to look at the Reggie Hamilton signature bass.

5. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    Again on that bass, the front pickup is pushed closer to the neck.

What I really want is a passive bass I can use for "real" P-bass sounds, but to be able to mix a little bit of the rear pickup in when necessary. My understanding is that front pickup placement is key for this. No?

6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Check out the Reggie

7. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks for not flaming me for being obstinate... the P-pickup actually does look like it's in the right spot on that one!

Any other suggestions?

8. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'd have to measure but the P pickup looks like it is placed pretty much between the bridge and neck, just like any other standard P. If it's closer to the neck it's less than 1/2 an inch.

9. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    An easy point of reference on the pickup position *seems* to be the lower edge of the pickguard. On the MIJ one that you posted (which seems to be typical of most Fender jazz P/J models) there is more space between the edge of the pickguard and the front pickup.

On that Reggie Hamilton model that I hadn't seen before, that space is reduced, suggesting that it does indeed have the traditional pickup placement for the front split-P pickup.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Pick guard isn't really the best frame of reference but yes, the one I posted is ever so slightly closer to the neck than the Reggie. practical effect of that slight difference? Probably not much. Anyways I love MIJ, I love blocks and binding and I love that it's limited. I'd get this over a MIM Reggie.

11. It's funny but I've been playing a 1987 MIJ Fender P since I bought it new and have really been pleased with it. But a couple years ago I found myself wanting a little different sound on some of the songs we play. I bought a Fender Aerodyne J and love the tones i can get from it, but until i just read your post I have wondered why I coudn't get a true P sound out of it and it's because of the split coil placement. Seems like I learn something new every time I come to Talkbass. Thanks for the info.

12. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    The practical effect makes all the difference between "true" P sound and another type of tone, as aerodyne1 also noted. A little difference in pickup placement can make a big difference in tone.

I love Schecter guitars and I would be totally open to this. But I read somewhere (and it definitely looks as if) the front pickup on these is pushed back towards the bridge. Can you comment on that?

13. asands

asands Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    I love my Yamaha BB 424X (pictured in my avatar). Its an import (Indonesian I believe) but the action, fit and finish on this thing are incredible! I really love the diagonal string through body for extra sustain. Also, passive P/J setup that has distinct tonal options. The J is really tight and burpy if you want it to. The P is a great thick old school P bass sound and the P/J position is a nice middle ground. Really adds some girth to the sound. I'm still blown away by this thing each time I play. Its my main gigging axe and can be had for 300-400. I believe I bought mine used with new strings and a D Tuner for 315 on TB. Good luck on your search!

14. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    Cool asands, and thanks. That Yamaha looks interesting. Definitely on my short list.

15. psychobot

psychobot

Mar 30, 2007
    That ESP looks very nice, 3TSB. I'm not feeling the color personally, but GLWTS.

The active/passive switch on the Reggie Hamilton bass put me over the edge, so I snagged a loaded RH body off eBay. I have a nice neck here that would go great with it. Thanks for suggesting it, StrangerDanger. I'm stoked!

:bassist: