Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggest a pickup replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pigpen02, Nov 16, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hi, i'm replacing the emg 40hz in a spector q6 six string bass, as well as the preamp. i'd like to purchase an active pre w/ three band eq and a nice pair of pickups to go with it.

i was thinking about either the aguilar obp3 preamp, or the bartolini three band, with a pair of bart soapbars. the question is, which soapbar? there's like eight of them on their site. so anybody got any suggestions?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Barts that'll fit your existing routs are the M4 series. There seem to be four six-string models, two split-coil, and two quad-coil.

Are you sure your pickups are 40's? I have a Dean Edge Q6 and it has Hz 45's. If they're 45's, then the Bart size is M5.

I think the Hz pups are actually pretty good. The preamp in my Dean went bad and I temporarily wired them up passive (I'm waiting for a Bartolini NTBT) and it sounds pretty good. You might try the preamp upgrade first. Just MHO.

Also, EMG actives will obviously fit, and they come in split coil, dual coil, and ceramic/steel varieties. That's another option. I think Duncan makes some active soapbars in the right size as well.

As far as preamps go, I picked the Bart over the Aguilar for two reasons: one, the Bart is 9v. and I didn't want to rout for another battery box, and two, the Bart is cut/boost and the Aguilar is boost-only. I've never tried an Aguilar, though.